We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Rome to Venice

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Rome to Venice

I will be travelling to Venice from Rome. Train seems to be the only option discussed here. What about driving, renting one way to Venice? I will be staying near Termini station and there are quite a few rental agencies.

1. Is driving to Venice worth it? Should I just use the train?

2. Is there a particular route, more scenic, that I should follow?

3. Any suggestion for the car rental companies for this one way rental?

Thanks

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Rome to Venice

We'd strongly suggest taking the train unless you have specific plans to visit small towns not reachable by train on your way to Venice (which does not seem to be the case). We have a second home in Rome and go frequently, and we only rent a car when we are going to a place not easily reached by train -- for good reason. It is much less stressful and with the train everyone can relax and enjoy the scenery.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Rome to Venice

Driving on the autostrada (not scenic) takes about 6 1/2 hours, and would cost about €100 in fuel and tolls.

Avoiding the autostrada would be much more scenic, but would take almost 9 hours and would cost about €60 in fuel. Of course that doesn't include the rental car costs.

The train takes less than 3 1/2 hours. The base price is €80, but with advance purchase, you can get super-economy tickets for as little as €29.

Driving time and cost estimates: www.viamichelin.com

Train schedules: www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Edited: 29 April 2013, 16:40
Toronto
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Rome to Venice

Thanks SpanishStepsApt for your suggestion.

Thanks bvlenci for this detailed info. I am back to train ride.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 16:42
4. Re: Driving from Rome to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:18