We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to buy airline tix

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When to buy airline tix

We are going to Italy in July. I've been watching the airfares consistently over the past 60 days. I haven't seen much movement at all in the prices. Down $50 here up a $100 there. I check from various surrounding airports and into Rome or Venice.

I expect to pay more in the summer than what I have seen in the spring and fall. But, at what point do I bite the bullet and buy the tickets before the prices go up? We are right at 9 weeks until we plan to depart. Should I wait another week or two?

Most of the sales emails I have recently received were non-sale sales. Prices weren't any lower than what I have already been seeing. Can I expect a sale? Any advice from those with experience in these matters will be appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to buy airline tix

in reality, no one can answer the question because airline pricing is designed to be an enigma: they intentionally adjust prices to provoke the trigger impulse. Kayak has an algorithm that predicts the direction of fares, shown on each search, that suggests buying or waiting with a graph in support. It is hardly infallible but maybe it will help you decide when to buy.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to buy airline tix

I went through the same thing this spring buying flights to Barcelona. I watched for a while and noticed they seemed to be always within the price range of between £100-£150. I didnt want to run the risk of the flight I wanted becoming fully booked so as soon as they went below the 100 mark I went for it and booked them at £93.

Im still convinced they'll go lower, but hey ho, thats life. Just decide upon a reaonable number that youre willing to pay and if they go anywhere near that, snap them up. Theres always the chance they could go up in price.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to buy airline tix

You can go on the airline's web site and pretend to buy a seat, but not going as far as to actually buy it. That way, you can usually select your seat before buying, which allows you to see the seating map. That way you can tell how full the flight is getting. It doesn't work for budget airlines or short haul flights that don't have seat selection.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to buy airline tix

actually, it doesn't work for many airlines if you are buying a discounted ticket. The booking system provides minimal seat selection to discount passengers, with the less desirable seats, although you can switch seats later to better seats if they have not been pre-selected.

Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to buy airline tix

My wife and I are heading to Rome this weekend. I bought my tickets last October against the advice of many who told me to wait and see where the prices go. I was more interested in a seat selection than saving $100 or so. After I bought them, I have been watching the prices regularly. Until about 60 days ago, there was only minimal movement.....up $50 one day, down $100 a week later. Suddenly, about 60 days ago, the price jumped 25% and has not moved since.

My advice is to buy a ticket when you have a price that seems ok rather than hope they go down, you can really miss out.

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to buy airline tix

We bought our tickets about 6 months ago for our trip to Italy which we will be there in a week.

I listened to a few people on here and bought a direct flight into Venice and we than bought a flight home out of Rome.

So we fly into Venice and depart out of Rome. Thats our itinerary.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to buy airline tix

I am flying into Naples at the end of June and bought my tickets at the end of January. The prices have gone up significantly since then. I was more concerned about schedule and opted to pull the trigger early. The price has only gone up since then.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to buy airline tix

...and there you have it folks! If you want to sit in a certain section of the plane for various personal reasons or perhaps economy plus seating, pull the trigger early (if you're comfortable with the price). The days of saving 'big' bucks is most likely over...whatever happened to Peoples Express! One of my main concerns flying is the total time it takes to get to the destination, as living on the West/Left Coast means a 'short' duration flight to Italy takes 15 hours...not exactly a hop. I am just happy we don't have to fly from Australia! Buy the ticket...

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to buy airline tix

MOLTO we are neighbors. We fly out of SFO on the 12th. Its a nice Mothers Day present for my wife. We got married over a yr ago :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to buy airline tix

Indeed we are njoying...we fly out on the 21st. I'm sure you'll have a great time in Italy. It is "all" good!