We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Tickets

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
780 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Tickets

I want to buy Vatican tickets in advance. If I get tickets for 3pm, is it crowded then? Should I go to see St. Peter's Basilica right before around 2:30pm? We have to catch a train at 7:55pm (19:55) so would I be giving it enough time? Do they send me tickets or how does that work? We thought that we would go to the Colosseum and Forum (Ancient Rome area) in the morning and the Basilica in the afternoon. The night before we thought of going to the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain. I hear that they are very close to each other. Also we thought of taking the free Angel tour of the Pantheon. I heard that was great.

Thank you.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Tickets

It's always crowded inside the museums. In the afternoon the line outside is shorter but inside you'll find thousands of people, most of them lining up to get into the Sistine chapel.

Are you going to the museums or the basilica? If you're just going to the basilica you won't need tickets, it's free. You'll need to go through the security check point but that lines moves quickly.

As for train tickets, it depends on what you ordered. If you ordered electronic tickets you will get a code to show the conductor.

You can visit both the colosseum and the basilica in the same day.

donna

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Tickets

We waited on 2 separate nights to await the Angel Tours person, but no one showed up. We didn't prebook; their website says "We meet on the front steps of the Pantheon at 7 p.m. every day in high season", so we didn't feel required to book ahead. Maybe you'll have better luck. Or better yet, contact them and let them know you'll be there.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Tickets

Are you are planning on visiting St. Peters Basilica at 2:30 p.m. and then going to the Museums at 3 p.m.?

If so, you won't have time as it is about a 15 +/- minute walk from St. Peters Square to the Museum entrance.

There's a security line you have to go thru at St. Peters.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Tickets

I thought about St. Peter's at 2:30pm. When we go through the museums, I heard that you can exit from the Sistine Chapel into St. Peter's Basilica and not have to go through more lines. Am I wrong on that? How late is St. Peter's open?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Tickets

The only way to exit the museums directly to the basilica is if you take a tour of the museums. The bypass door is reserved for tours and the guards check your tickets to see if you were on one or not. If not, you go through the regular exit which only takes a few minutes more than the bypass. The basilica is open until 7.

Donna

Edited: 02 May 2013, 14:11
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Tickets

Ok. Thank you. We don't want to take a tour so we will either go to the Basilica first or if not crowded, then we will see if after. Our first priority is to see the Basilica. We want to see that more than the museums. The only thing we want to see in the museums is the Sistine Chapel, but if we have to skip that, we will. I heard that there are people outside doing tours. Is that advisable? How long do they take? Thank you.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,086 posts
780 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Tickets

Or else we would consider a short tour, say an hour of the Basilica and an hour for the Sistine Chapel.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Tickets

There is a tour you can book that will give you a tour of the museums and chapel and also includes a tour of the basilica. It's a skip the line tour so you won't need to worry about the lines. The only thing is that the tour lasts for 3 hours. That's about 2 hours in the museums/chapel and one hour in the basilica. You can book it directly on the Vatican website. It fills up quickly so if you wish to do this tour you should book as soon as possible.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Tickets

IT-expert, maybe they define high season differently than you do.

Angeleyes, the Basilica closes at 7 PM in the summer, and at 6 PM in the winter. I wouldn't recommend a tour if the only thing you want to see is the Sistine Chapel. You don't have much time, and you could see it much quicker without the tour, because they spend a lot of the time in other parts of the museum.

If you buy tickets for 3 PM, you should be able to be out of the Museums by around 4 PM if you only go to the Sistine Chapel. You would have time to visit the Basilica and still make your train. If the Basilica is more important to you, I would suggest skipping the Museums altogether.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
431 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Tickets

@bvlenci: angel tours website indicates that 'low season' is November 11 to March 10 [that's the period they ask you to make sure there's a guide for the Pantheon tour]. You may view their website yourself. We were in Rome from March 16 to 23. There are other comments on TA that indicates they also missed the free guide. No big deal, we were in the immediate vicinity. Yes, it would have been better if we prebooked, but was a little unsure of our schedule on some nights. Like I said, no big deal to us.