We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Calabria to Rome

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Train from Calabria to Rome

We are traveling south from Rome and we have already bought one-way tickets. There were many schedule options for this trip. Our return trip back to Rome is in mid-June.

The problem is: there is only one inter-city train back to Rome which arrives late in the evening. Should we wait for a new schedule to come out or is this local train our only option? We are traveling between Diamante and Rome. (I could not even find an express train between Sapri and Rome. I have not tried inter-city to Naples and then on to Rome.)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

The schedules are not all loaded yet. On the route to my home, there's only one daily train shown, where there should be at least five. Last year, the schedules for our area weren't published until a week or two before the changeover. You can get an idea of the schedules by looking at a date in the near future, using the same day of the week you'll be traveling. The schedules never change radically.

There's no need to rush to buy your tickets. On the less popular routes, the trains almost never sell out, and there are often discounts up until the last minute. Just keeping checking.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

Wow... Thank you so much for your advice. My fear is getting stranded without a way back to Rome and missing our flight. I guess that would not be too bad spending another day in a beautiful country. We are really excited for our our trip!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

If you look at the current schedules, you will find that there are fast morning trains from Calabria to Rome, including a 6:46 solution from Diamante to Paola which connects to the Frecciargento to Roma Termini (arrives 11:55).

Indeed, you can find most of the trains from Paola to Roma Termini even after June 8 right now. The regionale train schedules out of Diamante have apparently not yet been uploaded after June 8, but you can expect them to be very similar to the current schedules.

The Frecciargento is the fastest and most modern train between Calabria and Rome.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

Thank you for the information. I will research trains leaving from Paola. Do you think it is necessary to pre-purchase the tickets on line or should I wait and purchase them in Italy?

Also, do you think I will be able to rent a car in Cosenza on a Saturday. It seems that the rental places are only open for half-day on Saturday. I have read some information that visitors show up at the rental places and they are closed. Thank you!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

QUOTE:

"Do you think it is necessary to pre-purchase the tickets on line or should I wait and purchase them in Italy?"

ANSWER: Only if you want to save money by purchasing the Trenitalia ECONOMY or SUPER ECONOMY fares on the Freccia or Intercity trains (there is no such discount on the unreserved regionale trains). Be aware that both of these discounted fares are non-refundable, and the SUPER ECONOMY fare is also non-changeable. Otherwise, you can purchase the undiscounted "BASE" fare on your departure date.

QUOTE:

"Also, do you think I will be able to rent a car in Cosenza on a Saturday"

ANSWER: Don't count on it, unless you verify opening hours in advance AND make prior arrangements in writing.

6. Re: Train from Calabria to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 06:17