We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

raleigh, north...
8 posts
Save Topic
Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

My grown daughters and I are planning to drive from Rome to Tuscany and on to Venice. I've read about the difficulties of driving in Rome and am hesitant to attempt it. Is there a rental pick up spot close to the city border or would you recommend going to the airport for pick up? We'll be dropping the car in Venice. I'm the only one with an international driving permit and I don't want to be responsible for the three of us ending up in the hospital or in jail! Thank you very much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

We tend to pick up our hire car at FCO airport. It is then easy to get out and on the road to Tuscany without dealing with the traffic in central Rome. We enjoy our stay in Rome, then take the Leonardo Express back to the airport, pick up our car and hit the road!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

I like picking or returning a rental car to the Termini station location. It is away from the ZTL's with easy access to the A1 hiway north to Tuscany or south to Naples by using via Tiburtina which is right next to the Termini station. Just make sure you have all of your luggage and passengers with you so you can exit Rome at once.

Mentioned in this post
Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

We always pick our car up out at FCO. It's 3 hours to San Gimignano from the airport. Easy drive...have done it quite often.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,082 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

But at Venice, return the car at Piazzale Roma rather than the airport: much easier to get into Venice from there.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
raleigh, north...
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

Excellent advice and I am grateful to you all for taking the time to help.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

If you're already in town it doesn't make a lot of sense to go out to the airport, there are several locations in town where you can pick up a car and head north. You also avoid the airport tax on the rental, which a few years ago was fairly significant (don't know what it is today).

North Tustin, CA
Level Contributor
201 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

I have rented twice from Termini. Get familiar with a map. You can actually follow a main rode to the Circonvallazione and head in any direction. As mentioned, return in Piazzale Roma in Venice. The rental offices are small - look for the sign of you agency.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
8. Re: Picking up rental car....Termini or FCO or other??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2014, 06:19