We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for those who love to cook?

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best places for those who love to cook?

Hello, I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if this has already been posted, but my mom and I are going to Rome for a few days and I was just wondering for those of you who have been there if there is anything special to look out for for food/cooking lovers? For example, I'd love to get some cookbooks(preferably in English) or some sort of cooking item unique to Italy, but I have no idea where to go to get them.

Also, we are staying at La Papessa right in between the trevi fountain and the Pantheon. Does anyone have some good suggestions for places to eat that has great authentic food at a reasonable price?

If you have any other suggestions please let me know...thanks for all your help!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

For cookbooks on Roman food in English, try Maureen Fant's Williams-Sonoma Rome or David Downie's Cooking the Roman Way.

If you are looking for cooking classes in English, there are quite a few and this might be a fun activity for your family. Here are just a few options at eatingitalyfoodtours.com/2013/….

For foodies, there are two terrific apps and some websites you should definitely check out. Katie Parla has a website (parlafood.com) and a great app -- http://www.parlafood.com/rome-for-foodies Elizabeth Minchilli also has a very good food apps (for Rome and beyond) -- see elizabethminchilliinrome.com/p/food-guide-ea…

For restaurants, a reasonably priced restaurant near the Trevi is Colline Emiliane at Via degli Avignonesi, 22. Near the Pantheon is the tried and true Armando al Pantheon, Salita dei Crescenzi, 31. We're also fans of Palatium, near the Spanish Steps at Via Frattina, 94, as well as a little place near Campo de' Fiori, Ristorante Ditirambo, Piazza della Cancelleria, 75. We also love L'Asino d'Oro near the Colosseo in the Monti district at Via del Boschetto, 73 -- a really good bargain, especially at lunch (work week chef's choice three course special with a glass of wine for 13 euros).

Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

Edited: 08 May 2013, 01:41
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

Thanks so much! We will look out for those places!

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
336 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

The food markets are always fascinating for a cook, and even prowling around a supermarket will give you a feeling for everyday Roman food. There are fresh produce markets everywhere; the market in Campo di Fiori is huge, and if you are in Trastevere the San Cosimato market is low key and fascinating.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

You can get English-language Italian cookbooks at Feltrinelli International, via V.E. Orlando, 84/86.

Moscow
Level Contributor
209 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

Agree with TPANDAV.. the market at Campa Di Fiori is great.. you can buy some good spices there..

its also quite near where you are staying. Adjoining Piazza Novona

Chennai, Tamil...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

My son likes Italian food a lot. .....me too :-) Planning to try all restaurants mentioned by SpanishStepsApt

Rome, Italy

Thank you.

7. Re: Best places for those who love to cook?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2014, 05:18