We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

64e for four gelata!!

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
749 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
64e for four gelata!!

Wow!! Anyone see the article on the BBC News this morning about two couples who stopped for an ice cream near the Spanish Steps and were charged 64 euros. The travel expert did mention it's name saying the establishment had a bad reputation but I missed the name. Anybody know which place it is to warn others of this barefaced rip-off.

South East England...
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k647…

mesh

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

We had this happen in Florence. My daughter and son-in-law were walking with us down one of the main streets in the heart of Florence when they stopped in a little shop for gelati. They mistakenly didn't ask the price first, because everywhere else that size had been about 4-6 euros. The lady charged them 16 euros each. Ouch.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,405 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

Usually you pay first and then pick up what you paid for. If they tried to charge me 16 euros for a gelati I would have walked away.

Donna

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

Ya I dont understand that, why dont they just walk away instead of being completely ripped off?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Zadar
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

I'm with Donna. I would have walked away.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,085 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

I asked for two drinks at a mobile van outside the colloseum ... guy said "12 euros" I looked back and said "how much"? ... he repeated 12, I just started to walk away and he called out "make it 8" .... I just kept going.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

As I said in the other thread: one should know that the gelateria in question is owned by a relative of Giordano Tredicine, a (hopefully ex) city councillor who also owns the food carts/roasting chestnut businesses in the city centre.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,510 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

NEVER order anywhere 'off the menu' -- most gelato places have signs listing the prices and you point to the one you want or ask AND you pay first and present the chit to the scooper. Any time you are expected to order without menu and prices you can expect to be ripped off.

I watched my German host get hosed like this in 1960 at a restaurant in Copenhagen when the waiter noticing his difficulty with the language offered to just 'make up a little dinner of veal and vegetables' -- which ended up costing about 3 times what was on the menu for other dishes.

If the gelato place doesn't have clear signs about sizes and costs -- that is a clue that it is a clip joint.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,768 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

More sorry tales arriving in the review section. Whats good is that they will act as a warning for those lucky enough to keep a close eye on Tripadvisor, but especially on the forums!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187791-…

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 64e for four gelata!!

I noticed one of the new reviews is from an Italian complaining about the extra charge for sitting at a table. This is something very common in Rome, which we here on the Rome forum are constantly warning people about. However, where I live, in Le Marche, it's unheard of. So, obviously, even Italians get bit by that one.

This customer does say there were prices listed at the place, although he only looked at the prices for service at the bar. Other people say there weren't any prices listed.

Just make sure you see the prices before you order anything! Not just at this bar, which I hope closes down soon, but everywhere.