We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving at airport in the early morning..

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
arriving at airport in the early morning..

Hi everyone. A quick question about getting to the airport. Our flight takes off at 7:55 am on a Saturday morning. Our hotel is right by the termini. I at first thought that the best bet is to take the Leonardo Express. However the earliest departure is at 5:52 and we arrive at 6:23. Is this enough time??? We are flying back to California. Is there a better option? I really don't want to be panicking if security lines tend to be longer. Thank you so much.

san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

Sorry forgot to add that the airport is Fiumicino

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
940 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

I personally would allow more time than that otherwise I would panic! I try to allow for at least 2 hours absolute minimum.

Can you not prebook a taxi to take you from your hotel to the airport. That's what I've done. I've used Rome Shuttle Limosines at 40e each way.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

For a flight from FCO to the USA, the usual advice is that you should be standing in the check-in line 3 hours before scheduled departure.

NY
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

I would opt for a taxi - have your hotel pre- book the night before.

If you are flying back to the US on a US carrier, you need to go to T5. Taking the LE would require a shuttle bus from say T3 to T5, and also schlepping your bags from the FCO station to the bus.

New York
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

2 hours is not nearly enough time. You do need to arrive the full 3 hours before and will probably need every minute of it. If for some reason you have a bit of extra time not a big deal. Book a car the night before and keep it simple. Why chance missing your flight home? It would not be a good way to end the trip.

san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

Thank you so much for your help. I did read how the taxis are now a flat rate to the airport? (as long as in the city centre). We are flying back on British Airways, first stop is to Heathrow. Would that still be T5?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

No, if your immediate flight is to Heathrow, you'll leave from Terminal 1 or 2, and 2 hours should be enough time.

Cairns
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

We flew BA to Heathrow two weeks ago on the 8.10am flight. Pre booked a taxi for pickup at 5.45am from hotel near colosseum. He took us to Termini Station (mistake) then on to the airport. Light traffic only took 30 minutes. Heaps of time, no queues, even had time for a coffee. Cost 48 Euro. Security staff at Heathrow most pleasant ever encountered. Good luck...

san diego...
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

Thank you so much. Heathrow is definitely not obe of my favorite airports but it was the main connecting airport to get home. Both times ive been there ive been questioned before boarding the plane in secondary. Honestly have no idea why. I know a lot of times it is random but maybe its my redhair and freckles they dont like haha.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: arriving at airport in the early morning..

Heathrow isn't one of my favorite airports either, especially for transit. I've had my luggage remain behind in London three times. Once I was on a flight from Heathrow where more than half the luggage remained behind. They told us when we landed, and there was a lady with a cart full of money giving reimbursements to anyone with a luggage claim check.