We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel with Italia rail

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel with Italia rail

What is the difference between business , business quiet and premium? I'm assuming the difference in economy vs super economy is the discount in time of when you purchase?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,923 Reviews
from US$122.80*
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

It's a different class of service just like first class and business class.

You should use the official train ticket site and not a reseller to purchase tickets.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

This is where you'll find the best rates. There is a schedule change due for the 8th of June so all of the new schedules have not been posted yet.

Donna

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

There are dates and times available for the end of June. If I book those times now, what happens if there is a time change on June 8th?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

There won't be a 'time change', you'll be fine. After June 8th all of the train schedules will have been uploaded for the summer into the fall.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,359 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

If you're looking at the official site then what is posted now won't change. If you're looking at the site of a reseller they may just be guessing.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

Italia rail is a subsidiary of Trenitalia, and their prices are more or less the same as the prices on Trenitalia, with a few variations because of exchange rate fluctuations. They don't tack on a hefty commission like Rail Europe does. If you like that website better than the Italian site, there's no reason not to use it.

The prices shown now for dates after June 9th are the definitive prices; they won't change. I would just suggest that you not buy regional train tickets in advance; these tickets never sell out and don't have any discounts for advance purchase.

Checking just now, I see that Italiarail.com is charging $26 for the €19 Italian economy fares. That's pretty close to today's exchange rate. They let you print out an e-ticket, so there is no delivery fee.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

i have booked my train travel from Florence to venice and rome to naples. I booked first class. Is it true that all i need to do now is board the train and give the conductor the PRN number? They never asked me for my address to mail tickets, so i'm assuming it's all electronic, but i was not able to get an invoice?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

when you buy on-line you are sent an email with your ticket information including the PNR. I printed out the PDF that was emailed to me and I showed that to the conductor. They type in the number with an hand held device. I took along my print out so I would know seat number etc.

So, yes, having the PNR is all you need.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

As bvlenci points out, you'll print out an e-ticket, in addition to the PRN number it'll have your carriage number and seat number for your reserved seat(s).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

You really need your carriage number and seat number. Navigating between train cars with luggage is no picnic. Did you print out the post purchase page? That should have the carriage and seat number, as well as the PNR, and should be all you need to travel on the train. If you don't have that, I suggest you try to get another copy of the ticket confirmation. I don't think they would have given you a PNR without an email address. Did you by chance use the Posto-click method of buying a ticket? If so, that doesn't even require payment, but you have to go to one of Trenitalia's licensed agents within 48 hours to complete the purchase.

Are you registered with Trenitalia, or did you get the ticket without registering, or without logging in?

You can try following the instructions on this page. They say you should have a CRA code, which will have allow you to retrieve the ticket.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
418 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel with Italia rail

i selected seat numbers, I have a PNR number, and I did register and they took the credit card number. I will try to go on their website and see if i can somehow log in.