We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At the Trevi Fountain today

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
At the Trevi Fountain today

There was a discussion a few weeks/months ago about a story I had read that the Trevi Fountain was having major works done to it and that it would have some sort of covering over it so you wouldn't know you were not really seeing it - or something like that! Well, I was there this morning and it is its lovely self. Enjoy

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Great to hear, thanks Dale.

I have heard mixed things about when the work would begin. Does anyone have an update?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

There's precious little to be seen, however the "invitation to tender" I mentioned in this....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k641…

.... does at least appear to have gone out now!

It's a little early on a Sunday morning here but, after a quick run through what seems to be that document...

impreservice.net/upload/upload13885126952310…

.. they give bidders until 10:30AM on 5th June 2013 to put in their applications (and the public can go and watch them being opened the next day?!)... and insist that the work must be finished within 600 elapsed days.

Can't see a definite start date, although bidders have to agree to their offer remaining open for 180 days - with the possibility of an extension of up to 180 days more, if necessary for completion of the selection process.

Still only a guess, but I'll leave my bet on it being a November start!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Edited: 12 May 2013, 06:13
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Has anyone heard if the Colosseum restoration is still due to start on the 20th? We will be there next Saturday and wondering if we need to get in early on our first or second day in Rome. Seems like we will be safe to see the Trevi Fountain in all its glory even if it is just over the heads of all the other sightseers.

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Yes, it's confirmed - the restoration works of the Colosseum will begin on May 20.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

And what does that mean for visitors over the next few months?

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Any idea how long the restoration work will take for the Colosseum? Will it affect the vistors for the tours?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Don't tell me. They are going to finish it at last?

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

How long do these restorations normally take?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

I read somewhere that it was supposed to take 3 years. Im heading to Rome in June. I hope i won't find colosseum covered with scaffolding. They will probably do it bit by bit so they only spoil the view from one angle at a time.

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: At the Trevi Fountain today

Wow. Ouch. What about the fountain? We are going in December and even though I have no control over it, I would be very sad