We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Tour with Kids

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LA
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Tour with Kids

I'll be in Rome with my husband and my 2 sons (a 3 year old and an 8 year old) at the beginning of June. We know many people feel it’s crazy to take a little one to the Vatican but our kids are well behaved and we really want to tour the Vatican so we’ll take the risk... The little one will be on a stroller! Could you please recommend the best private tour for Vatican with kids we don’t mind the price as long as we can get the best experience possible...

We are thinking about:

Context Travel

Daniela Hunt

Nancy Aiello

Romeprivateguides.com

And would you do the tour on a Tuesday or Thursday morning or in the afternoon??

Thanks for the advise!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

I can barely take the crowds as an adult and as a diminutive adult (5'2") - I could barely see a thing but the back of everyone's back and head; it is a sardine like packed. I'd never take children, especially such young ones in - it's also very warm inside when hot out, as June is hot.

You might want to google images of "Vatican Museums crowds" to get some idea. I get shivers just thinking about how miserable it can be.

Here's just one such image from May 3 (I google this, it isn't mine):

…contexttravel.com/the-vatican-museums-at-2p…

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

You could do Walks of Italy Pristine Sistine tour. It gets in to the Sistine before it opens to the crowds and maybe perfect for you. I have booked it for my group so we can enjoy the tour with less stress. The company is well liked.

I do not know about the guides you mention, but they will only be good if they can get you in before the museum opens to the public. Pushing a stroller in regular crowds will be horrible for you and the little one.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,049 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

Well, we did a tour with Daniella Hunt, and really enjoyed it, but it was not of the Vatican. She was good at making the tour relevant to all 3 generations of us that were traveling though (my daughter was 13 at the time). There's a trip report here that includes a Context Vatican tour, although not a private one:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k647…

We did not find the crowds as bad as many people seem to. There were a lot of people there, but we found that often if we waited a few minutes there would be a space in between with less people. We may have just been lucky, but we were able to find a seat on the raised area where you first come in to the Sistine Chapel, which made it much better to look at as the guards keep people moving through that area to the lower area so they were not as packed in.

TBH, we weren't looking for anything in particular there, however. We mainly went because my mother wanted to see the Sistine Chapel, so only looked at the things on the way there which I expect would be the most crowded (similar to the Mona Lisa at the Louvre). I didn't find it particularly well labelled, so if you are interested in it, I think a tour might be a good idea.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
628 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

I have booked the vatican tour with Daniella Hunt for myself, my husband and my 9 y.o. I might have tried to take the pristine sistine chapel tour had I known about it. Context tours only offers private tours for families with children under the age of 13, when I contacted them. My husband was adamant about seeing the Vatican or I might have passed on it. My son has been to a ton of museums. I am the one who may lose it with the crowds! Daniella suggested we go in the afternoon on a tuesday or thursday when it is (slightly) less crowded. Several people have mentioned the friday evening tour is the most pleasant, but your children may be too tired by then.

Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

My wife and I toured the Vatican last week. It was the single most miserable part of our Rome visit. It was bad enough that it was so crowded that you could barely reach into your own pocket, but what if they ever needed to evacuate? Not only would I not go back, I am a bit upset that I gave them my money.

New York
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

I can't imagine trying to bring a stroller into the Vatican and actually keeping your child safe while they are in it. I've gone twice in May and the crowds and heat were so miserable. There were times that you're just being pushed through and you feel like your feet aren't even touching the gound. A child in a stroller will be surrounded by wall to wall people and probably scared to death. Seriously reconsider the choice you are making. I'll be in Italy next week and have reserved a Friday night spot, but if the crowds are anything like I've previously experienced I'll quickly ditch the plan.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

A stroller inside the Vatican museums can actually be dangerous. There are so many people and most of them are not looking at where they're going. They may actually trip over or even knock the stroller over because they are paying attention to the art work and not to where they are walking. It's better to avoid the museums with small children and come back when they're older.

Donna

8. Re: Vatican Tour with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:17