We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

T L
Bear, Delaware
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

I would like to share our experience of pick pockets in Rome while we were in Rome in April of 2013. My wife was walking to a metro station with her back pack. Two girls got behind of her and opened two zippers. There was no valuable items in her back and nothing was stolen. I screamed to these two girls and they ran away. In another occasion, I was getting into a metro train. There was an enough space to get in. All of sudden, there was a big push toward me from inside of the train. As I struggle to avoid falling of the train, a young girl got behind of me. As the train door was closing, the girl did not get into the train. Immediately, I checked my back pocket which was buttoned before riding the train. I found that it was open and my dinner money was gone. Apparently, there were people who got into the train from previous train stop, who pushed me, and the young girl stole money from me. These pick pocket people work as a team. These young girls may carry a flat and big handbag or clip board and hide their hands under these when they do the pick pocketing. Avoid any metro train if it is crowded. I would like to suggest that spin your body, if you feel that you are pushed, to prevent the stealing. I also would like to suggest that you carry fake money or folded papers as decoy to foil the stealing. Pick pocketing in Rome is a shame to this great city.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

nyplaymaker... I'll remeber to tell a friends 78 year old mother who was robbed getting on a train in Rome how she should have been more alert and she only has herself to blame. Just a question though ... you state << Personally, I would rather that the police spend their time addressing problems that the can solve rather than doing (fill in the blank with whatever pointless activity it is you want them to undertake) >> Does that cover drug and gun crime because that's pretty much pointless don't you think? They are both growing in the USA despite the police efforts to stop them. Pointless? And shoplifting ... I mean that's harmless isn't it, why bother?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Suggesting how the Rome Police should curb pickpockets is about as effective as suggesting how the ZTL's should be enforced. As a guest in Italy, the best a visitor can do is try to inform other visitors on how to prevent being a victim of either the pickpocke or the ZTL's.

san francisco
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Hi TL, i am so sorry you were a victim. When I am in Rome, Paris, New York or San Francisco, I put a credit card, Id and some cash in my bra just like Italian women used to do. That way I am secure and don't have to worry about pickpockets. I wore a money belt once but hated it. It felt uncomfortable. I am telling you the looks I get here in San Francisco when I pull my money out of my bra is worth it....I feel like Sophia Loren...Girls, you should try it...It's earthy....

Edited: 17 May 2013, 05:09
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Able, criminals are to blame for crime, and no one is blaming any victim, of any age, but one can hope that folks (also of any age) will take the simple steps that erase the opportunity for these crimes because you still have not come up with an answer to my question of what you would want the police to do. No crime is harmless, but again that's not the point. I think many people, given the choice between focusing on drug and gun crimes or shoplifting or pickpocketing crimes would choose the former. There is, as you are probably aware, quite a bit of debate in this country about the effectiveness of drug and gun laws, but this is not the appropriate forum to debate that. Still, if you can explain to me what it is you want the police in Rome to do after a tourist has had his wallet lifted from his back pocket in a crowded metro car and that thief has departed unnoticed and unseen, I'm listening. But until you can convince me otherwise, I think precaution is the best way to fight this particular species of crime.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 06:05
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

By a circular route, Tripadvisor's own advice - and Top 10 'worst places' list...

news.com.au/travel/travel-advisor/worlds-wor…

Having done a regular commute in London, I was surprised our capital wasn't there... but see it nudged past Hanoi again the next year!

guardian.co.uk/money/2010/sep/15/london-pick…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

All I said was "the authorities should do something" and I believe they should... But for some reason by stating that, others have taken it on themselves to lecture me as to the futility of "doing something" There is a vast difference between disagreeing with someones point of view and lecturing them on the futility of their beliefs in a condescending manner.... ergo the sarcasm. Thanks for the lessons but forgive me if I treat them with disdain.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Perhaps the most surprising thing on that list, Peter, is the presence of Florence, which I would not have expected among even the top 50 or 100. Like all ratings on this site, one must view them with a healthy dose of skepticism, and obviously the list is skewed toward top tourist destinations of a certain sort, such as those to which the typical poster on TA might go, as opposed to the thousands of places where few go but that are dens of pickpocketing. (e.g., multiples in Spain and Italy, but none in Morocco-really? Prague but not Budapest-really?) I've always though that Barcelona got a bad rap because it has the fortune and misfortune of having its cruise port in walking distance of the Ramblas. I think it's fair to say that, as a subset of all tourists, cruisers are the least likely to take the most basic of precautions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Able, what you seem to miss is the question-what is that something? Were you installed as head of the police in Rome tomorrow, what would you do? Prohibit crowds on the metro? Check each tourist's belongings to make sure they have been secured? Round up the likely suspects? Seriously, do you not understand the dilemma you are standing in the middle of? I think governments should eradicate poverty in the world, but how would you propose doing that? (And the questions are not unrelated.)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

<< Seriously, do you not understand the dilemma you are standing in the middle of? >>

Have you read this stuff? Is this for real?

Edited: 17 May 2013, 07:33
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

what stuff? about pickpocketing in Rome? Of course it's real; it's a fact of life in any big diverse city.