We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
T L
Bear, Delaware
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

I would like to share our experience of pick pockets in Rome while we were in Rome in April of 2013. My wife was walking to a metro station with her back pack. Two girls got behind of her and opened two zippers. There was no valuable items in her back and nothing was stolen. I screamed to these two girls and they ran away. In another occasion, I was getting into a metro train. There was an enough space to get in. All of sudden, there was a big push toward me from inside of the train. As I struggle to avoid falling of the train, a young girl got behind of me. As the train door was closing, the girl did not get into the train. Immediately, I checked my back pocket which was buttoned before riding the train. I found that it was open and my dinner money was gone. Apparently, there were people who got into the train from previous train stop, who pushed me, and the young girl stole money from me. These pick pocket people work as a team. These young girls may carry a flat and big handbag or clip board and hide their hands under these when they do the pick pocketing. Avoid any metro train if it is crowded. I would like to suggest that spin your body, if you feel that you are pushed, to prevent the stealing. I also would like to suggest that you carry fake money or folded papers as decoy to foil the stealing. Pick pocketing in Rome is a shame to this great city.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

nyplayer states "my problem with what you are saying" well that's your problem mate, why should I care if you have a problem with what I write? So here for your benefit is all I said ...

"the authorities should do something"

Now that's all I said, that could mean anything, that could mean the authorities should warn tourists or the authorities should start a crime campaign or the authorities should target the crime bosses or whatever but something should be done. That's just my opinion, but feel free to write and explain how futile it is ....

I have no idea why you need to constantly deny me the right to my opinion or badger me into submission and admit you are right .... because I won't and as far as I am concerned you are wrong and defeatist. Now feel free to chide me again and ask me to solve the problem ... go ahead, if it makes you somehow feel better.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 00:46
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

It's interesting that on the Paris threads there is a similiar discussion about what the authorities are actually doing. Seems the Parisians themselves are sick of it, fortunately they don't have a defeatist do nothing attitude where they blame the victim as much as the criminal.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Able58... I agree... Something should and could be done if they felt it were a priority.. More police presence would probably deter some of it. I, for one, would be willing to pay a tourist tax, if it would go towards security... One euro per attraction could probably cover the cost....just my opinion here...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

@Bobbi48128

"Maybe the governments overlook it because that puts less stress on the welfare roles???"

Did you see bvlenci's post #26

"The pickpockets are brought from Eastern Europe by well organized criminal bands, often with false promises of legitimate work. It works much as prostitution rings work"

What has it got to do with welfare from the government???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Bobbie, your welfare comment is offensive. I would hope you would retract it.

You suggest more police presence. How would that keep a skilled pickpocket on a crowded metro car from taking the wallet out of the back pocket of of the victim in this thread?

All crime is bad. You should know; Detroit has a murder rate over 40 times that of Rome, and a robbery rate that's not much better. A little context for some man who got his poorly placed wallet lifted seems in order.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Not all pick pockets come that way. I've seen all different types.. And what is offensive about welfare?

As for detroit, I have lived in the area my entire life, never as a victim. Most crime is drug related, or crimes of passion. If you visit, and stay in a nice area, you have little to worry about. I don't think anyone is targeting tourists here.

Regardless, I have a right to my opinion, as does everyone else. Have a nice evening all!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,174 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

We have been pickpocketed several times, one by an unknown on the Rome metro, one by a man following me on the street in Verona who got my DSLR and one by a group of very "helpful" elderly men on a bus in Palermo. I don't think any were Romany.

Also an attempt by a very chic French lady on the metro in Paris whom I found with her hand inside my bag.

It is interesting, though, that when I say I now use a Pacsafe bag, use its precautions such as a clipped closed zip, people say "Oh, you don't need to do anything special, just keep your wits about you, take the same precautions you would at home"

Nah! When I am away losing something has far more importance than it does at home and I will continue to take extra precautions, knowing that even in a press of people, when my hands may be otherwise occupied, my goodies will be more secure.

The same discussion happen especially on the Barcelona, Paris and Lisbon forums. It really is a big city problem. In Paris they make announcements (in English) in the Metro that there are pickpockets about and to watch your belongings.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Bobbi, welfare is not offensive but your suggestion that the local government doesn't do more about it because pickpocketing reduces the "welfare roles [sic]" surely is. My comment about Detroit was to point out that your exhortation about doing something about pickpocketing could be translated to Detroit, where one could ask why they don't do something about the far more serious problem of murder. You are certainly right that there are no tourists targeted in Detroit, but that's because there are no tourists there-it's too dangerous, and anyone who has a need to visit locks themselves in cars and hurries to sanitized "nice areas." But unlike Detroit, Rome possesses a large share of the cultural legacy of the western world, and is a place tourists want to go. The problem thus cannot be "solved" in Rome as it is by Detroit, which has essentially abandoned its city.

You of course have your right to your opinions, but with opinions one gets discussion of them, not automatic acceptance. The bottom line is that the crime people experience in Rome, while unfortunate, is not devastating in the way it is in Detroit, and if one has to choose between worrying about doing something about crime in Rome vs Detroit, I would think the latter would be a cause for greater concern.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

The people who are picking pockets aren't eligible for welfare; they're almost 100% immigrants from Eastern Europe. I believe the same is true in Paris. Those from Romania can be expelled if they commit crimes, but can return whenever they like, because they're now EU members. I read that they consider an expulsion as a free vacation to their home towns.

Bristol, United...
1 post
Save Reply
50. Re: Pick Pockets experienced in Rome, Italy

Every major city has pickpockets - carrying anything around in your back pocket, even if it is buttoned up, is easy pickings for any pickpocket.