We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

atm charges

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
atm charges

Hello -- I did a board search, and I've read that as of 2012, the ATMs in Rome do not have service charges for withdrawal transactions. Can anybody please confirm if this is still the case? I'm from Canada and will be there in June.

Thank you!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: atm charges

Italian banks do not charge for the service of using their ATMs. The fee will be from your bank only.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: atm charges

would love to hear how you made out with atm machines. We are going in September to Rome and Venice and we are also from Canada. What was the best way to handle transactions, etc.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: atm charges

The ATM's in Italy don't charge a fee. They are just like using the cash machines at home. The only fees will come from your own bank so be sure to find out what they are before you leave home.

Donna

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: atm charges

If you bank with Bank of America, you can use BNL Italia ATMs for no fees whatsoever.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: atm charges

thanks Donna .. very helpful. Just found out that our credit union charges $4 per transaction plus of course exchange rate. Weighing up between carrying cash and going to arm!

Eaton Rapids...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: atm charges

My tiny bank (it only has 4 branches) only charged me the Visa conversion fee of 1 percent. No other fees.

Grumkay even with the $4 dollar charge you might come out ahead than the currency exchanges in Rome. I had some dollars in my wallet so I figured I might as well change them to euros. The exchange at the Termini station exchanged the dollars at a rate of 1.35 to the dollar, when the real rate was at 1.29 at the time. On top of that they tacked on a 20% fee. They cleverly advertise no commission.

They wouldn't even give me my dollars back. I just walked away and didn't let them spoil my day.

You can have your Credit Union increase your withdrawal limit to make less withdrawal and lessen the $4 blow.

Edited: 26 August 2013, 23:10
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
29 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: atm charges

thanks - good idea. you sure need to be educated before you travel.

Eaton Rapids...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: atm charges

For sure since it seems to vary country by country. In Asia and Latin America currency exchanges simply work their commission into the exchange rate with no further fees. I assumed Italy would be the same, and that is where I went wrong.

9. Re: atm charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2014, 07:18