We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

Planning a trip to Italy the end of Sept 2013. We would like to do Rome, Florence and Venice. Any suggestions as to an agency to work with? Do it on my own? Flying out of Boston. Would like some downtime too, so maybe one nice tour in each city? What is a reasonable price to pay? Maybe 7 nights total? Hotel suggestions? We are grandmothers and best friends for 35 years. Thanks so much.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

Oh my, so many questions. It is easy to do it on your own if you are willing to invest some time in reading and planning. I would suggent getting some guide books from you local library and getting a better feel for what you want to see and do in each city. I also recommend spending some time reading the Tips section in Trip Advisor about each city and reading old posts for each city here on Trip Advisor.

In my opinion, 7 nights is not enough for these three places. You may want to just pick 2. Fly into one city and back out of another so you don't have to backtrack. I would take the longest flight first so that you might have a shorter flight home when you will be more tired.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,880 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

I agree - pick just two of these places. There is so much in each of these cities that 7 days in just one of them will barely allow you really scratch beyond the surface. If you try to do all of this in such a few days you will spend a horribly sad amount of time just traveling from one place to another. Italy is a big country and a lot of people who go the first time underestimate the size of the country as well as the time involved in getting from one place to another. I'd be a miserable person if I was to go on this itinerary.

www.trenitalia.com will give you the info re: train schedules (always a good formula to factor in one hour on either side of your train travel for checking in and out of hotels, getting to and from train stations, being at the station about 15 minutes prior to train departure).

There is a range of budges for lodging - you can check www.venere.com to see what is available for when you are traveling; you can sort there by budget and type of room you want.

I would suggest, if you choose to keep Venice on the itinerary, that you fly into Venice and then fly home from Rome so you don't waste even more of your precious few days backtracking.

It's fun and easy to plan on your own. Grab a good guidebook as a resource - the forums are great as another tool but shouldn't be your only tool. Guidebooks offer a lot of important logistical information that will be needed and it has the substantive history/background of the sites as well as outlining the amazing countless choices of sites to see in each city.

Somers, CT
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

I'm in the middle of planning the same thing. You might want to consider a tour company such as insight then you won't have to worry about luggage, transfers, etc.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

If you do decide to see all three cities in seven nights, you really should fly into Venice and return from Rome. This is called a multi-city (or multi-destination) flight. Expedia and almost all airline web sites allow you to do this. I would spend two nights in Venice, two in Florence, and three in Rome. This would give you just a brief glimpse of each city, but maybe the time spent together is more important than what you actually see.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

If you actually want downtime on the trip, I would spend the whole 7 nights in Rome. I think you can do Florence as a day trip (2.5 hrs by train maybe?) although I haven't done it personally. I'm a fan of staying in one place and doing day trips if possible as it avoids moving luggage and checking in and out of places. When I went to Rome with my mother (early 70s) and my daughter, we had 10 days including arrival and departure days, did 2 day trips, and didn't run out of things to do. However, we did have time to do things at a relaxed pace.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

I would fly into Venice, stay 3 days, then train to Rome, stay 4 days, then fly home. You can see Florence as a day trip from Rome (1.5 hours each way) if you want to.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

If a day trip would be sufficient for Florence, it would consume less time and money to stop over in Florence en route from Venice to Rome. You could take an early train from Venice to Florence, leave your luggage at the left luggage facility in Florence, spend the day there, then pick up the luggage and proceed to Rome. You'd spend the same amount of time in Florence, but save three hours of train travel and about 60-100 euros per person in train fare.

In this case, you could spend three nights in Venice and four nights in Rome, or two nights in Venice and five in Rome, depending on your interests.

8. Re: Help with trip to Rome, Florence and Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 06:16