We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise from Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise from Rome

Hi, I am thinking about booking a cruise from Rome and would like to stay in Rome for 2 nights following the cruise. Please can you advise re. Reasonably priced hotel in good location and easy to travel to from the port. Also which airport should I fly to in view of port location and few days sight seeing?

Thank you

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise from Rome

It makes no difference which airport you fly into. If you stay in Rome for two nights, the distance between the airport and the port is irrelevant.

Would you be going to the port by train or by private transfer?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise from Rome

Hi, I think I would stay close to the port the night before we sail so private transfer. Then have 2 nights after the cruise in a hotel suitably located to do sight seeing. Any suggestions?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise from Rome

The most central parts of Rome for sightseeing are the Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Campo de'Fiori areas. I use either www.booking.com or www.venere.com to find hotels. You can choose a neighborhood and then sort the list by price or guest rating. The guest ratings are more reliable than the number of stars.

Private transfers from the airport to Civitavecchia cost around 120 euros. You can also get a train to Civitavecchia. See the "Top questions" on the upper right-hand side of this page. The article doesn't mention travel from Ciampino airport to the port. From there, there is no fixed rate for taxis. The cost by private transfer is about the same as from Fiumicino. The cheapest way would be to get a bus (Terravision, for example) to Termini station and a train from there.

You might consider staying in Rome your first night instead of spending a night in Civitavecchia. There's really nothing to do there, and the cost and total travel time would be about the same.

Edited: 25 May 2013, 22:16
Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise from Rome

We have stayed four nights pre-cruise in Rome a couple of years ago and will do so again in July. We love the Residenza Ave Roma--it's around the corner from the Piazza Navona and just a few blocks from the Vatican. I recommend you book directly with them using their web site. They respond within 12 hours. They include a lovely breakfast and their service and rooms are wonderful at a very fair price. You can read the reviews.

www.residenza-averoma.it/index.php…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d277162…

Edited: 26 May 2013, 07:15
Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise from Rome

Another point--our cruise line Princess has a central hotel in Rome where we go by cab from the Residenza Ave Roma to catch a cruise bus down to Civitavecchia to board the ship; maybe your line has something like a bus that goes to a central hotel in Rome after the trip. We didn't want to stay at the hotel the cruise line uses because it is not in a convenient location and is way over the cost we wish to pay for a hotel room, so even with the cost of the cab to/from the cruise central Rome hotel, our cost at Residenza Ave Roma was well below the price charged per night at the cruise line's hotel. Plus the location of the Residenza Ave Roma is just wonderful, wonderful--on the Tiber River, walking distance to most of the main sights--perfect place.

Edited: 26 May 2013, 07:22
6. Re: Cruise from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 05:16