We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finding Rome Apts for sale

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Finding Rome Apts for sale

Can anyone give me some reputable websites for seeking out Apts for sale in Rome?

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

This site has a lot of real estate agents listed - not sure if all are still current:

www.astheromansdo.com/newcomers_guide.htm

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
496 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Thanks Momcat.

I know its pricey there and I walked by many listings in windows but wanted to enjoy my time there rather than home shop.

Thanks so much.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Not trying to be a smart a** but wouldn't you seriously rather use a couple of weeks to become very familiar, during day and night visits to potential apartments, before purchasing? For years, I'd planned to buy an Italian apartment and after many visits, talks with immobiliari and locals, visiting various neighborhoods and towns, I've decided to rent.

However, an acquaintance is of Italian ancestry. After many visits to Sicily, he got a special visa, one he received due to ancestry and proof of sufficient funds with which to retire, and got his permisso di soggiorno. In order to have the apartment in his name, and pay utilities, open a bank account from which to pay utilities, this was required. He rented an apartment which he loved on Ortygia. He then was able to take as much time as he needed-- a few months, to find exactly the right apartment to buy, which he did. He wouldn't think of returning to the USA to live. As his grandfather was Italian, he was able to obtain EU dual citizenship, which saved him considerable € on the purchase price, as the tax was much lower. He had both Italian and fluent English lawyers.

Assume you've already done significant research on all the legal requirements? And you know exactly which neighborhood, where the noisy bars are, if a frequently mobbed local or tourist bus stop is outside your front door, where the local kids drink and hang out at night in your desired neighborhood, where the early morning trash trucks pick up full dumpsters, if the active church bell is 50 meters from your headboard, if delighted screams of 6 year olds blowing off pent up energy in a school playground are near your bedroom, and such things?

A group of other acquaintances bought a 2 bed, 2 bath apartment in Cortona, before The Book and The Movie, creating their own little "time share"-- 4 couples. They had Italian and American lawyers draw up contracts and they've loved it. Some wanted to put more € in than others and I think my friends ended up with a 16% interest, so they use it however many weeks that is.

There are just so many factors and the romantic notion I used to have of owning here became bogged down by realities.

Hopefully, you've performed your significant due diligence, and you're ready. If so, buona fortuna! And many happy Italian years...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Particularly if windowshopping from afar, these are the pair I'd suggest you begin with....

- one of the major chains of estate agents:

tecnocasa.it/annunci/…roma.html

- and one of the main listings sites, used by many agents whether or not they've a site of their own:

immobiliare.it/Roma/vendita_case-Roma.html…

The process, and (lucky you!) its costs, have changed since we bought our apartment here, so - if looking for advice - do be certain you find someone who knows what's what!

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Montelparo, Italy
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

There is also www.casa.it

Do you know the yearly council taxes (Imu & Tares) for Rome are double compared to almost any other small town?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Then you may have to do some renovations, as something is always amiss, and that's another nightmare. Friends who bought an apartment a few years ago, as he is Italian, received the flat missing a kitchen which took more than two years to replace with never ending problems. Luckily, deep pockets and a second home enabled some patience, but more frustration than anything.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Regarding kitchens, I believe that in Italy people often take their kitchens to their next home.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
620 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Please make sure to do a LOT of research about purchasing property in Italy before you take the plunge. It is a very complex process and, for example, getting a mortgage there is VERY different than getting one in the US (your profile says you are in California). I was born and raised in in Rome and inherited my home there from my father -- and the paperwork I had to go through for transferring the property into my name was hard and expensive enough! I can also tell you from experience, the renovation process (including permit issues) can be excruciating. Then, even when everything is done, it is harder to maintain a second home in Italy than in many other places. For example, at least in Rome, there are certain taxes and bills that you must pay in person, so you will need to have an owner's representative/manager to help you take care of your property. There are also some, shall we say, eccentricities of property ownership in Italy, such as when we accidentally overpaid our electricity bill. Instead of issuing a refund or credit, the electric company ... turned off the power. A lot of people who moves to Rome will have some story like this. You really need to become educated as to all the "pros and cons" about property ownership in Italy.

If you are serious about moving to Italy (or purchasing a second home there), I agree with what some of the other posts are saying: move there and rent first.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

Poster #7 could not have said it better, and applies to bathrooms and everything else that can be excavated. And you'll find the "charming contractor" who will be all charm and lacking in efficiency. But I can understand the draw. We are in Florence at the tail end of a family journey and son, an NYer , wants to move here! Glory be!

10. Re: Finding Rome Apts for sale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 05:17