We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viator tours

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Viator tours

Anyone familiar with Viator.com tours?

We will be in Rome in August for 6 nights and would like to do some tours to different areas (possibly a winerey, day trip to Capri or maybe Assisi). There will be 8-10 in our group.

Since we are on limited time, we want to make the best of our trip. Our hotel is going to book a few local (Rome and Vatican city) tours for us, but I stumbled accross Viator.com tours and would like some feedback.

Any input/advice appreciated!!

222 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,363 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viator tours

Viator is a booking agency and does not operate any tours. The quality of a tour booked through Viator depends on which company actually operates the tour.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,627 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viator tours

Over a year ago, I wrote rather a poor review of a tour we did with viator.. After a while I contacted them to find out why the review had not been published. They said they would investigate why the review had not been published, and also my complaint with the tour. I'm still waiting.......

Edited: 27 May 2013, 06:19
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viator tours

Since Viator is a booking agency, it is hard to judge as you don't know who the actual tour operators are. I know for a fact that for their Colosseum tours, they use 'Dark Rome tours', but that is about all I know.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viator tours

I used them for my family's 5 week vacation across Italy and France. All our tour and hop on / hop off tickets were arranged through them. Had no issues or drama. I was surprised to having received a refund for the hop on / hop off ticket we had not used in Pisa. It is a booking agency but I had the peace of mind of organizing my requirements 2 to 3 months ahead of schedule.

Waterlooville...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viator tours

We are going to Rome on Friday and have booked 2 tours (Vatican and Colosseum with underground tour) with them .... I will let you know.

Watch this space!

K

Texas
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viator tours

Thanks for the replies. We are not going until mid August. Kazziecon, do let us know the tours worked for you.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Viator tours

I am looking forward to reviews on their tours too. I may book a couple of them when I am in Rome next year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,885 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viator tours

I have used Viator for many tours in Europe. Yes, they are a booking agency, but I have never had any problems with any of the tours. I used them earlier this month for the Skip the Line Vatican Museum Tour (run by Dark Rome tours). Thoroughly recommended. The second one was a day tour of Orvieto and Assisi (run by Green Line Tours). Thoroughly recommend this tour as well

terri007
Level Contributor
5 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viator tours

Has anyone taken the tour to Pompeii from them? We're going next April and would like to book something but also want to know if anyone has had any better experiences with other companies.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viator tours

Hi, just returned from Rome where we had booked two tours. The 'Rome by Night tour' was excellent with superb guide. Picked up from Hotel on time and they arranged a taxi for our return. Highly recommend as good way to see Rome lit up and stops at Trevi Fountain where it was not too crowded!

Also booked half day Wine tasting tour in Frascati Region. This is run by Dark Rome tours and again was excellent. Good to get out of the City centre for a few hours and the trip guide was very good. Enjoyed visiting the Vineyard and then onto the Wine centre to taste four wonderful wines.

Reply to: Viator tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted