We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

I used to eat around 4 or 5 pm and I wondering is there any possibilty to got served a lunch (not buffet, just ordinary pasta or something else) at that time, cause I know that lunch in Rome serves from 12.30 to 3 pm, which bother me also from the another reason - it's crowded everywere at that time! And I don't have a patiante for reserving or waiting in a fil.

Thanx :)

PS In my country you can eat everything anytime you want so cause of that I'm confused :(

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

Yes, that is possible at some cafés, but not all. Rome is a massive city and has everything on offer at most times of the day.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

It can be difficult to find a place to eat outside normal hours. You could maybe get lunch as late as 2 PM or dinner as early as 7 PM, but between those hours, you'd have to eat in bars or cafés or tourist-oriented places rather than at restaurants.

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

How about the normal breakfast time?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

Breakfast time is same as anywhere - most hotels and B&Bs (if they offer it) serve it between 7 and 10 a.m. or similar. Breakfast is not like U.S. breakfast - in a cafe breakfast is usually a cornetto and a coffee, in a hotel many will offer some meats (ham, salami) cheeses, yogurts, some sweets, fruit and some will make eggs on request. It depends on the lodging.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
224 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

We just returned from Rome and after a morning tour of the Vatican/St. Peter's, we spent the afternoon strolling through the Trastavere neighborhood. What a wonderful time we had with all the shops and we also found that the numerous restaurants in the area serve food all day with wonderful seating outside for no extra cost. We felt like a lunch at about 3pm and were able to order anything including a lighter fare or a full meal (several course) if we chose to. Seems like all the restaurants in this lovely area take no time off during the day.

Well worth the trip to Trastavere!!!!

Edited: 28 May 2013, 20:04
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

I'm sure that's because most of their clients are not Italian.

Turin
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

More important is that good restaurants don't "take time off during the day". Good restaurants use the morning and the afternoon hours to buy and prepare part of the food they will serve in the evening. Places where you can eat at every hour usually cook once or two times a week and then serve frozen and/or microwaved food.

Nothing wrong, you can't do otherwise if you menage a refectory...

i have to say that Trastevere is always more and more aimed to tourists and young Italians more interested in drinking and having fun than eating.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 22:16
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

Unfortunately, that's true.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,036 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

I visit Rome in the winter and it is never crowded at the local restauratns we eat at. We don't dress up and we don't make reservations but we eat at normal Italian lunch and dinner times. it is mcuh more crowded everywhere in Rome in the summer

Edited: 28 May 2013, 23:16
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the time for have a lunch and dinner in Rome?

Perhaps worth remembering that the "When in Rome...." phrase is said to have its origins in the reply given either to or by Saint Ambrose, for a very similar question?

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/si_fueris_Romae,_Romano_vivito_more;_si_fueris_alibi,_vivito_sicut_ibi#Latin

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Ambrose

Peter

Edited: 29 May 2013, 09:50