We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

Hi... We'll be visiting Italy in a few months. Our flight over (to Venice) is direct, via Air Canada Rouge, but our flight home (leaving from Rome, terminal 3) has a connection in Frankfurt (arriving and departing from terminal 1), and is with Lufthansa. The layover between the two is only 2 hours.

Can anyone who has made this connection before let me know if a) 2 hours is enough time to connect without rushing and b) if you have to collect your bags when you deplane in Frankfurt and check them back in through security for the second half of the flight.

Also, I'd love to hear any hints/tips things to see/do in both terminal 3 at FCO and terminal 1 in Frankfurt. (i.e. are either of the terminals lacking in good food, etc that would require stocking up on snacks before leaving Rome, etc).

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

Air Canada and Lufthansa are both members of the Star Alliance and codeshare, at the original departure checkin you and your luggage will be checked through to your final destination.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

Two hours should be fine. Frankfurt is not a huge airport.

Your bags will be checked through from Toronto to Rome, and you will not have to collect them. You will go through Immigration (Passport Control) in Frankfurt, as this is the point where you enter the European Schengen area. Your luggage will go through Customs at Rome, but Customs formalities there usually consist of walking through a doorway labelled "Nothing to declare".

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

I recently made the trip from Vancouver to Rome, with a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt, and just wanted to add a quick note. During my connection, even without existing the terminal, I went through another security check, which was unexpected. Thus the full water bottle that I had filled up just a few minutes ago was not allowed to go through. The security area had no water drain/discard facility and I did not want to throw away my stainless steel water bottle, which led to me chugging down an entire bottle of water while people impatiently waited behind me.

Apart from that, Terminal 1 in Frankfurt is nice, lots of places to eat, albeit expensive. There is no free wifi, unless you happen to have a cell phone which means you get 30 minutes of free wifi via a code texted to your phone. Most of the places to eat also do not offer wifi, paid or free. There is a public resting area where many outlets and comfortable chairs to kill a few hours though.

Good luck!

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

Great, thanks very much! Confirms what I thought... that even though bags are being checked through, the possibility of an extra security check in Frankfurt means if I want anything from duty free I would have to get it in Frankfurt, and not in Rome. I would hate to get something in Rome just to be told that they won't allow it through security in Frankfurt. Chugging water is one thing... alcohol, perfume, etc... is quite another. :-) Thanks!

5. Re: Flight from Rome to Toronto, via Frankfurt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 06:17