We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on half days ?

Manchester
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What to do on half days ?

Hi Guys,

Were staying at the Arenula Hotel for 4 nights in August...so in total we have 3 full days in Rome,we also have half a day on the first day we arrive & also on our final day we don't have to be at FCO airport to 6pm....so we have most of the daytime in Rome as well,....with regards to the 3 full days we should be able to see:

1st full day:

The Colosseum

The Forum

Palatine Hill

Vittoriano(Up the elevator for the view)

2nd Full day

St Peters Basilica

The Vatican Museum

& look round Vatican City

Castel Saint Angelo

3rd Full day

Campo D Fiori

Piazza Navona

The Pantheon

The Trevi Fountain

The Spanish Steps

So I was wondering what could be recommended to see on the 2 half days ?

Were not big on museums,we like Churches though not too many,we like boat trips,are there any recommended trips you can take on the Tiber or parks etc etc ?,

Thanks for all answers received !

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on half days ?

Perhaps you might like the Borghese gallery or the Baths of Caracalla. You might also try the circus maximus, knights of Malta Keyhole, Capucchin crypt, ara pacis, Ostia Antica or Tivoli. There are many many options. Grab a guide book and see if something catches your eye.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on half days ?

You might want to visit one of Rome's parks; the Villa Borghese park is close to the Spanish Steps. It's a large and very attractive park; you can rent bikes or bicycle carts there. There's a little lake where I think you

can rent a little boat to row. The Doria Pamphilj Park is a little further out, maybe too far to get to and back for a half-day excursion.

There are also lots of interesting neighborhoods to explore, such as Trastevere. The Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere has some beautiful golden mosaics that date from around the 10th century. Also in Trastevere, you might enjoy visiting the Renaissance Villa Farnesina, which is set in a lovely garden, and has beautifully frescoed rooms.

There are no boat trips worth taking in Rome. There are high embankments, so you don't see much from the river. In fact, I think the only boat trip company has closed, or maybe I should say gone into dry dock.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on half days ?

I often recommend that people spend their first day (especially if it is a half day) walking and doing free things. That way you can pace yourself in case of jet lag as opposed to having a set schedule or having to meet for a tour at a specific time. Free things to see and do include the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza del Popolo (go to Santa Maria del Popolo for the fabulous Caravaggios and the Chigi Chapel), the Pantheon (and go into the lovely Santa Maria sopra Minerva, just behind the Pantheon), Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori, and strolling by the Colosseum at night. I also personally love the Forum Boarium, Theater of Marcellus, Jewish Ghetto, and walking along the Tiber. As you stroll, if you see a church or fountain that interests you -- or a nice little wine bar -- you can stop and go explore. Seeing some of these free sights on your first half day would also potentially open up your third day as well (and I don't think the sights you listed for your third day would take all day unless you are doing a tour).

Both dbabe and bvlenci have given you some great recommendations, and you'll find more things to do if you look at a guide book, or on the Tripadvisor "Things to do" list (I've also put ideas on our Pinterest page -- http://pinterest.com/spanishstepsapt/ ). I'm also mentioning the park out on the Appian Way as a park definitely worth a visit (most probably for a full day), as it is a great combination of scenery and history. Website is http://www.parcoappiaantica.it/en/

4. Re: What to do on half days ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 05:16