We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3.5 weeks honeymoon

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3.5 weeks honeymoon

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but I figure it'll be my last stop before heading to Athens and Santorini. So it'll be a good place to ask questions.

We are planning our 3.5 weeks honeymoon at the end of September this year. Currently from info gathering, my itinarary is as follow:

Arrive late morning to Venice, so I'll have 2.5 days.

Travel to Cinque Terre, 3.5 days

Travel to Pisa, arrive in the afternoon, stay overnight and travel to Rome next morning.

Rome, 4.5-5 days

Athens, 1-2 days

Santorini, 6-7 days

I'd really like to explore Italy and then end my vacation with a relaxing time in Santorini. From looking at the number of days, it seems like I can visit another city in Italy and perhaps shorten the number of days in Santorini by 1 or 2 days? If so, which city would you recommend to see that would be along the train route? I'm planning on flying from Rome to Athens but would be open to flying from else where if there's a connection.

I've heard that there're tons to see in Rome but I've also seen itinararies that can do Rome in 3 days. Would I have enough activities for 5 days assuming we're not much of a people watching kinda couple.

Thanks a bunch.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

You could add the extra 2 days to your Venice stay and see more of Venice which is a romantic city, while in Venice take a day trip to the islands of Burano and Murano. You could also use your day in Pisa plus your 2 extra days to stay in Florence(3days) and take a day trip to Pisa from Florence if you must see Pisa, then go to Rome from Florence. Just a suggestion.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

You asked about whether there are enough activities for Rome for 5 days. I'd say there's enough for five months, or even five years! But I'm rather biased as I was born and raised there and have a second home there. I always find something new and wonderful in the Eternal City.

Yes, some people "see Rome" in 3 days, or even less. Rick Steves has some planned sample itineraries that range from 1 day to 7 at ricksteves.com/plan/…rome3.htm that may give you some ideas (but the 1-3 days are very hectic ones, which may or may not be the pace you want to take).

You say you are not into people watching, but are you into history, art, architecture, or food/wine? If so, there's easily 5 days worth. If there are certain kinds of things you or your soon to be spouse are interested in (modern art? cooking classes? wine tasting? biking? gardens?), then throw out some questions on this forum for ideas of places to see and things to do. But this is also your honeymoon, and Rome is a big and busy city, and you may want to spend more time relaxing in a more quiet location together versus visiting museums, historic sites or galleries in a busy city. It's a personal choice kind of decision.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

I'd take a day from Cinque Terre and add it to Venice and I'm not even a fan of Venice but recognize its beauty and history and do think your current time allowed for it is too brief to really get a feel for this unique city.

I'm coming up on trip number 22 to Rome and still have a list of things to see - so, no, you are not in any world going to run out of things to do and see. Your guidebook will be proof enough of that. In fact, I'd add a day to it, taking from Santorini but that just depends on what you have chosen to see in Rome and whether you want to have that amount of time relaxing on the island.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

Thanks for the replies.

As much as Europe is a continent of history and art, my fiance and I aren't huge history and art buffs. I'm interested but wouldn't cry over it if we didn't go to a gallery, for example. We're both into architecture, food/wine, outdoor activities, and scenary in general.

I'm right now thinking that we may not do overnight in Pisa. From the sound of it it can easily be a half day thing that we can do when we're on our way to Cinque Terre from Venice. Would you suggest adding days to Rome, so that we can perhaps do day trips to Naples? Or instead go to Florence?

Also which area in Rome would you suggest staying at? Closer to Colosseum side or the Vatican City side?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

One of your questions was what area to stay in. That's a topic that comes up all the time, an ongoing thread is at tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k65404…

If your two choices are Vatican area or Colosseo area, I'd vote for Colosseo (but others may prefer Prati, the area near Vatican City).

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

After a bit more research, I've modified my itinarary... what do you guys think?

Venice - 2.5 days

Cinque Terre - 2.5 days

Pisa - 0.5 days

Rome - 4 full days but thinking of maybe compressing into 3 instead...

Sorrento (as home base) and go to Naples, Pompeii, Capri - 2 days

Back to Rome to fly out to Athens.

Right now based on what I want to see in Rome, is this do-able?

Day 1 - Palatine Hill, Colosseum, Roman Forum, Capitoline Hill, Bath of Caracalla, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps

Day 2 - Piazza Navona, Campo de Fiori, Trastaverre, Jewish Ghetto, Vittorio Emanuele Monument

Day 3 - Piazza San Pietro, St Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Vatican Museum

I"m a toss up on whether I wanna visit Appian Way and the Catatombs, as well as Villa Borghese. If I do, can i fit it within the 3 days or recommend a 4th day?

Thanks.

7. Re: 3.5 weeks honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2014, 06:17