We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
HSE
North East
Level Contributor
500 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

Hi, has anyone been in Rome recently that can help me with my query on if you are able to wear 3/4 length trousers (that cover the knee but not the ankle) to enter into St Peters church. We are going next month and I know it will be too hot to wear jeans etc so I am wondering if 3/4 are acceptable for both man and woman?

Some websites say yes and some say no but it would be useful to know what to wear on that day before we set off.

Any info would be useful.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,777 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

The Vatican information and signs clearly state that men must wear pants. Anything else and you run the risk of being denied entry. If you want to be ***guaranteed*** entry then you must wear pants. Women can wear pretty much what they want as long as their knees are covered.

Donna

Edited: 28 May 2013, 15:00
Rome
Level Contributor
80 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

As every British English person might think -wearing pants, how would they check? ;-)

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
500 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

is this for st peters as i see you refer to the vatican?

Toronto
Level Contributor
732 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

I was there a few days ago... and was shocked to see men in shorts... however, they where longer shorts that just covered the knees. I also saw girls in shorter shorts!!!

I would say you would most likely be ok.. but again.. should you risk it?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

saintpetersbasilica.org/Pics/SQR/DressCode-J…

That's a picture of the sign for St. Peters Basilica showing the dress code.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 15:28
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

You may be allowed in - there is no way to know if you will get a guard who will be lenient.

People do get turned away not dressed according to their posted dress code; it's up to you if you want to risk it. I can't imagine that wearing a pair of lightweight slacks is much of a problem (if going in summer).

HSE
North East
Level Contributor
500 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

thanks all, will see what the weather is like on the day but if its baking i wont be complying! Will have to return the next day :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

Three-quarter pants and a t-shirt with short sleeves are fine for visiting all churches in Rome. As long as knees and shoulders are covered you will be OK.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

It may be for other churches (I don't personally know all the churches so can't say for certain) - but it is not what the Vatican states as their dress code - again, if someone wants to show up and take a chance, that is up to them. I'd find it a horrible waste of hours of waiting in line to then be turned away just because I didn't want to wear full length slacks but that's their choice, obviously.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Peters dress code - 3/4 trousers?

My nephew was turned away from St. Peter's Basilica wearing 3/4 length "clam diggers". Other churches in Rome require only that knees and shoulders are covered. I can't speak for every single church, because in some cases they are the property of religious orders who have their own rules. However, St. Peter's Basilica is the only church in Rome I've ever seen that required long trousers for men.