We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
517 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Hi, I'm going to Rome in October and will be taking a cruise to Venice. I'd like to go a few days early to spend a little time sightseeing. I'd like to stay in a nice hotel, so please tell me what area of the city I should be staying in as far as conveniences for interesting sight seeing, transportation, safety, restaurants, shopping, etc. Also, what's the best way to get around to see the sights? Taxis, car rental, buses, trains, etc.? Thank you.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

You will find many threads -- and many opinions -- on the "best" area to stay in Rome. The key is to stay within the historic center; we love the Spanish Steps area, where we have a home, but we've stayed in Monti (which we loved) and near Campo de' Fiori (fun, but some areas can get noisy on weekend nights) while our place was being renovated. Other areas that people really seem to enjoy are around the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Trastevere ... and other areas as well. Here is a recent thread on this same topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k65006…

Make sure to locate the specific address of your possible hotel or apartment on a map, as streets can be long and some areas, such as Trastevere, can be relatively large, so one location may be convenient while another is not. Make sure to check out the proximity to metro, bus routes, and taxi stands.

As for getting around, walking is by far the best way to explore the Eternal City. There is also metro, although there are limited stops; very good mini electric buses (see map at http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9 ); trams; and taxis are relatively plentiful and affordable, particularly when your feet just can't go on any more! Please do not even think about a rental car in Rome itself -- for one thing the historic area is restricted and fines can be large, and traffic can be intimidating to say the least. If you run a search, you will also see many threads on the topic of getting around Rome.

Level Contributor
63 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

We just came back from Italy and we stayed at campo di fiori and loved it. We were comfortable walking around outside at night and there were plenty of great restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. Also the Vatican was only about a 30 walk.

Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

We stayed in the Prati district. 2 mins to Lepanto metro station, 5 mins to the Vatican and no more than 10 mins of a leisurely stroll to Piazza Novana over the river. Very quiet as it is more residential but beautiful with lots of good eateries. Walking is the only way to get around both day and night.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Near the spanish steps and nowhere else. Stay somewhere on the via ludovisi... like hotel ludovisi palace is a good one.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 07:27
Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
517 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Thank you all for your comments. I have one general question: You're telling me places like Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, etc., but I don't see those names on a map. How do I know exactly what area of the city those districts or neighborhoods are in? I don't know anything about Rome but am excited to learn.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Any decent map of Rome will show the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Campo de'Fiori, Colosseum - all of these are depicted on Rome maps. I suggest you get a guidebook as well - they have detailed descriptions of the various areas of the city.

Look at a google map then to see where those sites are located so then you can compare hotel addresses in relation to the location of those sites.

I don't understand the post about having to stay at the Spanish Steps and "nowhere else" - that is an odd comment.

Edited: 29 May 2013, 14:38
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

This is a very, very simple map of the Rome neighborhoods so you can get a rough idea of where the different neighborhoods are:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/maps/rome.htm

If you are looking at a particular accommodation, make sure to get the address and see exactly where it is located.

Longboat Key...
Destination Expert
for Longboat Key
Level Contributor
517 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

Thank you again. Your advice and links have been most helpful as I start looking around for hotels.

9. Re: What part of Rome is the best place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 06:18