We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

I will be travelling to Rome in August, with my husband, 3 kids, and possibly an adult friend. It is clear from reading the many posts here as well as other sites that a vacation apartment would suit our needs better than a hotel. However, I have never done a vacation rental ANYWHERE before, and I am a) overwhelmed b) too busy to do a ton of research.

I have searched through posts on this forum, and looked at SlowTravel.com. Some of my friends have told me I should use a rental agency rather than VRBO. Why is that? And also, my friends say to go with a US based rental agency? Is that really a good idea? And would they have a person in Rome to help out if things go wrong?

I've also read to only use a rental agency or owner that accepts credit cards. That makes a ton of sense to me. Is it hard to find agencies that do credit cards?

Is it hard to find an apartment with Internet service? I can't go without my Internet fix each day!!!

And finally, given that we are really busy and are having trouble finding time to research this, should we use a travel agent? Are there travel agents who can handle apartment rentals? Does anyone want to recommend a travel agent?

Thanks!!!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

www.vrbo.com are a well established accommodation agency also www.venere.com www.airbnb.com www.ownersdirect.co.uk

www.romeinfo

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

Actually www.vrbo.com, www.airbnb.com, www.ownersdirect.co.uk are classified listing web sites that will pass your request on to the owner/manager. www.venere.com is an online hotel booking site (owned by Expedia, I believe) that also provides a booking service for some apartments. You need to ensure that any specific apartment has some good reviews.

I prefer to deal with rental apartment managers with a good reputation and local representation. In Rome I have rented twice from Friendly Rentals with good results. The Sally apartment in Piazza Navona area and Pearl III in Trastevere.

Most rental agencies with take deposit by credit card, but not so many will accept credit card for the actual rental as the apartments are mostly still privately owned. It is becoming a little more likely that you can pay through Paypal using your credit card.

Others will have had good experiences with other rental agencies such as SleepinItaly.

friendlyrentals.com/en/…accommodation-220.htm

Rome
Level Contributor
67 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

Rental agencies may be more reliable if compared to proprietors which you don't know at all. (Sorry for my English, I'm Italian so ... not very fluent with your language!). In a rental agency there is always a responsible if something goes wrong. slowtravel is a good travel forum and if you trust it you may contact some of the rental agency listed there. Once they will reply to your inquiry I think you can easily choose, basing on the reliability of their answers.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,413 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

I haven't used them but have heard good things about SleepInItaly - I believe you can use credit cards with them:

http://www.sleepinitaly.com

I know you can pay the deposit with a cc but not sure about balance; but, if you see something you like, you can always inquire about payment method.

One note: It will be very (very) hot in August so be sure to check reviews for mention of the efficacy of air conditioning. You will not want an apartment without it.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 15:34
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

When I researched apartments, I found several good sites. Two, rentalinrome and romanreference actually made recommendations when I contacted them... I just told them what I was looking for. That may be the easiest way to approach this. I ended up booking through TA/Flipkey... As I found what suited me best. I booked in February for an October stay. Can i say for sure this apt will be as good as it rated, who knows... i guess we all take a bit of a risk with apartments. but as your trip is approaching, you may not have as many choices... I would try to find something as soon as possible. Rentalinrome, though its had some negative reviews, I dealt with Marco, and he seemed extremely knowledgable and very eager to help. Had I not booked the one I did, I would have probably booked through him.

Wooroolin Qld
Level Contributor
122 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

I have had good service from initaly.com for travel this year but I'm in the dark as much as you as I've always stayed in hotels. Reading some reviews from people who have had accommodation cancelled or changed because of double booking is strait g to make me nervous though.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

Not sure if this has even been done before, but why not write a few of the rome experts and ask them to find you something....and offer to pay them for their time. If someone were coming to my town, which is very unlikely, I'd be more than happy to find them a place. Just a thought....

Please don't beat me up over this one.... Lol

8. Re: apartment rental agencies/ travel agents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18