We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Official Tour

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Vatican Official Tour

Hi,

I'm thinking of taking the Vatican Museum + Sistine Chapel + St. Peter's Basilica tour offered by the Vatican. (NOT the "art and faith" one because I want to see the Raphael Rooms.) Does anyone know if that tour includes the Pinacoteca?

I'm rather torn between taking a guided tour vs. touring the Vatican on my own. The main reason why I want to take the guided tour is because I want to take the shortcut exit from the Sistine Chapel to St. Peter's Basilica (need to minimize walking for the elder members of my family) but I know a lot of the guided tours skip the Pinacoteca.

Thanks!

-C

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Official Tour

This is what the tour includes:

The tour follows an itinerary which includes: the Pio Clementino Museum, the Gallery of the Candelabras, the Gallery of the Geographical Maps, and the Gallery of the Tapestries (Renaissance art), the Raphael Rooms, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica.

Duration of the tour is about 3 hours

Donna

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Official Tour

@Donna: thanks for your response. I read that on the Vatican official website as well but I was wondering if that was a complete, exhaustive list of the tour hence my question. Have you taken that tour? How was your experience?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Official Tour

I haven't taken the tour that includes the basilica because I like to go back into the museums at the end of the tour and you cannot do that once you exit. You can try emailing the vatican museums to see if this is the complete list or not.

help.musei@scv.va

Donna

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
992 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Official Tour

Donna, I read another post that said the Vatican Scavi tours ended in the Basilica. Is that correct? If so, will I then be free to tour the Basilica?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Official Tour

Yes, the scavi tour ends inside the basilica. The basilica is always free so you can tour for as long as you wish after the scavi tour.

Donna

The Villages...
Level Contributor
259 posts
992 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Official Tour

Thank you Donna. I did think of a problem with that as a plan though. I would love to take some pictures in the Basilica, but I know that you are not allowed to even carry a camera on the Scavi tour. So in this scenario I would end up without a camera in the Basilica. Not the end of the world, but ........ Can you think of any solution other than coming back a different day to the Basilica?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Official Tour

You can check the camera at the baggage check area and retrieve it after the scavi tour. This way you won't need to return a second day unless you wish to.

Donna

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Official Tour

You are not allowed to take photos on the scavi tour, but you may be able to take your camera with you. My husband put his camera through the metal detector at the scavi security check and then kept it in his pocket throughout the tour. Others have made similar reports.

nova scotia
Level Contributor
110 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Official Tour

It's true. We carried our camera bags right through to the Basilica. Even saw people taking pictures in rooms with plenty of signs asking them not to. They were reminded not to take pictures, but the cameras were never taken from them.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Official Tour

Edgeplus, they are not talking about taking their cameras into the basilica where it's no problem, they are talking about taking them on the scavi tour which has limits on what is allowed on the tour.

If the camera is a point and shoot you will have no problems putting it in a pocket and taking it with you. If it's a DSLR then you'll probably need to check it. I wouldn't take the chance and would check the DSLR before checking in as you won't have time after check-in to do that and you don't want to miss the tour or be denied entry.

Donna