We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Topic
Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Hi everyone :)

I have a chance of staying in Rome for a few days. The thing is that Rome is kind of my transferring point, and I will be travelling with a pet(ferret if it even matters), and I was trying to find some info online, yet did not succeed - has anyone ever went sightseeing in Rome with pets? I have never been there so I reckon I will go to the most famous places such as Colosseum, Capitoline, Villa Borghese, Vatican, Pantheon, just walk around the city and maybe drop by some shops. Are pets allowed to these places? I am mostly considering to hold him on my hands while in museums, yet maybe there are some rules that ban entry with pets completely. Would love any tips! And maybe you can share general experience about the places I mentioned, maybe I should visit something else? I will not be there for very long, so I highly doubt I will be able to go outside the city

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Can't imagine you can - can you actually take a pet into the museums in the Netherlands? I've never seen such a thing anywhere other than a service animal for someone with a disability.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

I should imagine it's very unlikely. And not even in a carrying cage? If it got loose and started chewing through the pictures in the Borghese.......I hate to think of the consequences.

New York
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Why not bring a cage he can stay in while you're out sightseeing. Why must the ferret spend the day out with you? It will probably limit you from going just about anywhere except walking outside.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

I'm trying to imagine a ferret inside the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam as we speak. I can't, frankly, believe someone would imagine this would be an okay thing to do around great works of art that cost a fortune to maintain, restore, etc.

I agree - bring a cage for when you visit the indoor sites and take it out when you are just planning to be outside. Where would the ferret be when you eat? On your lap?

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Yes. I doubt whether he/she would be welcome in restaurants for example. In fact I'm sure not.

I'm rather wondering whether this is not a question from someone having a laugh at our expense.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

More so, in your place of residence, if you are in a hotel or even apartment rental....

The Hague, The...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Well, staying in hotel with a pet is not a problem really. And well, I see a lot of people with those little dogs going about anywhere they want, this is why I was wondering it :) about bringing a cage - he would need a big one and it doesn't make sense to bring his cage all the way from the Netherlands through Rome to Siberia and then doing the whole way back in just 1.5 months. But thank you all for your answers :)

Edited: 04 June 2013, 18:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

You have seen pets - of any kind - in museums?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,693 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

and a ferret is not quite a dog. If I remember correctly, I have seen signs in Museums that only seeing eye dogs are allowed.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome,pet&sightseeing - is it possible?

Just had a swift google through the Italian sites on bringing pets into the country. If I were you I'd get some expert advice. Has it got a "pet passport"? Has it been vaccinated against rabies? You can't bring a ferret into Italy just like that.