We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying medication in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
staten island, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buying medication in Rome

I landed in Rome yesterday for a month's visit having forgotten my high blood meds (Amplodipine/Novasc) at home. Panic! Went to the first pharmacy, explained the problem and they sold me a month worth of pills for 3.5 euros. On my say so, no prescriptions, no questions asked. Relief. Though you would like to know.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying medication in Rome

WOW!!! At that price we should all go get refills!! Glad you were helped.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying medication in Rome

You can't count on this; many pharmacies would insist you get a doctor's prescription. Often they'll give you enough for a day or two, but require that you return with a prescription to get the rest. In this case, you'd have to go to a "guardia medica" to get the prescription. There are two of these services for tourists in Rome. One is at the hospital of Nuovo Regina Margherita in Trastevere, and the other is on Via Canova, near the Spanish Steps.

060608.it/en/…guardia-medica-turistica.html

There are also private medical services for tourists.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying medication in Rome

My husband 's inhaler that he needs a prescription for in the US costs him $50 with his insurance . In Rome he walked into a pharmacy and got it for 4 euros, no prescription !!!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying medication in Rome

It can work the other way round. I strained my back on one visit and asked a chemist for a product routinely available in the UK - ibuprofen gel - and was told it was prescription only in Italy.

There's enormous variation on this from country to country. I've been amazed at the potentially harmful drugs that are available over-the-counter in some of the countries I have visited.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying medication in Rome

#4 ibuprofen in pills is sold over the counter in Italy, I am surprised that it should require a prescription when you ask for the gel. But you are right, every country has different systems, in spite of EU rules....

London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying medication in Rome

In recent years European countries have tightened up on over the counter prescriptions. Lots of medication I could buy without prescription in Italy and Spain is no longer available without prescription. Yes, it does still vary country to country.

NY
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying medication in Rome

I found that many over the counter medications usually cost significantly more than in the US, but especially for brand name OTC's. But I bought them anyway - like Advil Cold and Sinus as an example.

I found that ethical/prescription drugs can cost a lot less. This is partly due to some drugs coming off patent sooner in the EU.

By the way, I bought some antibiotics near Rome just by asking by generic name some years ago, maybe that has changed by now. Of course sometimes a person who is their own doctor has a fool for a client.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 22:36
Reggio Calabria...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying medication in Rome

I had forgotten a medication at home and a friend of mine had a fever. Our concierge service have called a medical service but I found www.doc24.eu medical service in Rome with my IPad a better price and with good comments :)

I called DOC24 for a medical visit for my friend and a medical prescription in hotel for me. They sent a kind and good doctor in our Hotel in Rome.

The doctor gave us the invoices to get a refund from our insurance.

We are very satisfied I hope that my comment will be useful to someone.

Enjoy your trip in Roma bella

Edited: 17 August 2013, 15:17
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,642 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying medication in Rome

My daughter needed to get a prescription refilled here in Italy last week, because she had counted wrong and didn't have enough to last her for the whole trip. The prescription was filled at a pharmacy on the basis of the information on the pill bottle (her name, name of medicine, date, and dosage instructions). She had to pay full price for the medicine, but it cost her less than what her co-pay is in the US.

10. Re: Buying medication in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:16