We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Museum advance purchase

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Museum advance purchase

hey,

some days back I read that Vatican museums are not taking online bookings as in you have to queue to pay even though you have online booking.

Has it changed now? If I buy online how do I get in ?

In general I think the fee is pretty steep, is it worth it ? I have one day to just look at Vatican museum and basilica so I can go at any time crowds are less, what time will be more preferred ?

Sorry for multiple questions .. thanks.

regards

Puneet

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,086 reviews
from US$76.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,854 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.50*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,891 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

Only you can decide if seeing the museums and Sistine Chapel are worth it.

You can reserve online at their official website and then when you arrive for your entrance time, you can pass by the line of people who are waiting who have no such reservation and get in ahead of them - you will pay and then enter the museums.

If the art and chapel are not of interest to you, you shouldn't go. It's not for everyone.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

oh I am sorry, I am sorry, I was unclear.

I meant is booking online worth it, I am definitely going to go for Vatican museums. From your response I understand one has to go to the museum and pay even if booked online ? Is there a separate gate or something ?

Can you please point me to right site to buy tickets ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

You make a booking at mv.vatican.va

When you go to the Museum, walk past the people queuing for tickets and go up to the entrance. Show the guard your booking, and you will be directed to a short line to buy your tickets and go through security.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

I found the site as we are going to Italy this summer and want to avoid the lines - it is the Vatican official site.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

If for some reason that doesn't work, just google Vatican the Holy See Official Site and you'll see the link for guided group tours. If you purchase your tickets in advance online you would not have to pay again, as the response above seemed to day.

I found another conversation that discussed the need to have an Int'l ID for students if you have a minor traveling with you. They said kids are often not checked for id at all, but a copy of the passport or a school id would work fine.

Happy travels!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,891 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

Their website at this time is only allowing you to reserve; you cannot actually pay for the tickets online right now. So, do as Syndey explains. Reserve your tickets, print out our confirmation of the reservation and show it to the guard to go inside, pay, receive your tickets and enter.

You will bypass the line of people waiting who have made the reservation. I do think that is worth it as I have an aversion to waiting in long lines when it is not necessary to do so (or, even when it is) - but, this is a simple process so I think it is well worth doing.

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

Another option...go after lunch and there is little or no line. Cost is reasonable, and you can pick up an audio guide. The only downfall is you cannot go directly from Sistine Chapel to St. Peter's, but the walk on the street from Museum to St. Peter's is no big deal. We've done it both ways, and definetely prefer the latter. Tours rush you through too fast for our taste...we like to wander at our own pace.

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

it is actually asking me for all the CC details and visa secure code etc. .. I am not sure if money will be deducted or not though ..

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

and I m not able to book either tried two times .. it always expires connection in end .. any suggestions ?

Jaipur
Level Contributor
750 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

ok update .. I was able to book using another browser, and they deducted money .. so I guess it is prepaid now days.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
636 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Museum advance purchase

I did this last month and received a voucher to show that I reserved my tickets. I'm supposed to get on a special line to pay for the reserved admissions.

They stopped accepting credit cards because of too much fraud. I guess it has been resolved.

I'll be there in July.