We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Wanted some of your expert thoughts on our first trip to Roma next month....

My wife and I are arriving on an EasyJet flight from Venice to Fiumicino at 22:35. We picked Hotel Amalfi to stay for 3 nights because of its location to termini and the great reviews on here. We were planning on just taking the Leonardo Express to termini and walking, but it would be late at night (23:30?) before we could even get there and are concerned about finding the hotel this late at night...

Would we be better off cabbing it? Seems like a cab with cost me around 60 Euro versus 28 with the Leo. Or am I worrying too much and the walk is pretty easy? I am begging my wife not to take more than a carry on suitcase, but I doubt she listens! :) Would love your thoughts, thank you in advance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

No one here knows all the hotels in Rome - can you put the link to yours so it doesn't have to be looked up?

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Of course!

http://www.hotelamalfiroma.it/location.htm

That is the directions page, which seems pretty straight forward. Sorry for not including earlier!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

I don't think the walk is too much - it is just a matter of whether you both will feel comfortable walking with your luggage at that hour. It is not the most charming of neighborhoods and it is safe but there is that feeling of vulnerability late at night one gets when walking in an unfamiliar place with luggage and other personal belongings. I would feel that anywhere - not just Rome. You could take the bus noted on the hotel directions or even see whether one of the taxis will take you from Termini if you do take the LE. Though since it is just a 1/4 of a mile (400 meters), I'm not sure they will.

This is all personal choice - a lot of people come through Termini and walk to their hotels even late into the night. It is a matter of being aware of your surroundings, making sure you have a good hold of your personal stuff -

You just need to decide your own comfort level at that hour - again, it is safe for the most part. No one can ever say that anywhere is absolutely safe but violent crime is extremely rare in Italy and in Rome and the most common of problems is pickpockets but it is up to you. For me, I'd spring for the 48 euros (flat fare for taxi from FCO) just because of unfamiliarity and probably tiredness.

I may be assuming you are unfamiliar with the area - if so, disregard my remarks about that. Overall - I would say after all my trips to that wonderful city, you will likely be perfectly fine if you walk that short distance. But, I make it a point to never say anything is an absolute -

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Hello kmodares,

It is possible to walk to your hotel. It is about 8 blocks from the front of the Termini. From your train car to the front of the Termini could amount to the equivalent of another block or two of walking and dragging your luggage. (The hotel's web site says it is located 400 meters (a quarter mile) from the Termini. That must be from the side door, not from the front door of the building from which it is 750 meters to the hotel which is just under a half mile.) There will be other people on the streets, maybe not a lot, but the streets won't be deserted. The warm nights of summer are inviting.

There is a rainbow mix of immigrants and tourists around the Termini area, many of whom stay up late. I am not overly cautious but preferred not to walk alone at night in that area. But there are two of you, so that's different.

Considerations in your decision on how to get to your hotel are how young or old you are, how fit you are, how good a sense of direction you have, how well you read maps, how much more luggage you wife will have to deal with than just a carry on suitcase and a handbag, and how she would prefer to get there.

There will be taxi's at the Termini. You might ask how much they would charge to take you to your hotel. (There are multiple one way streets in that area, and in Rome in general, so a taxi's route might not seem like the most direct route while in fact it is the most direct route for a motor vehicle.)

If you took a taxi from the airport, you would get to see the Colosseum lighted, as well as the Forum across the street and other buildings in that part of town. During the day, a taxi from the airport is 48 euro. I don't know if taxis charge more at night.

Spirit

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Thanks for the help momcat and spirit (and yes, spirit, I believe the hotels directions are from the side door). I'm leaning towards doing this without a cab, but may still look for a private transfer. At least I feel safe if I have to walk it....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
203 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Hi there, I live in rome and i think that you can do it without a cab. as someone said, i do not know you so i start from the fact that you are considering it feasible for you.

It's not so far really. for a "safer&quicker route" when you get off the train exit from the left side exit of the station (the one that faces on via giolitti on your left if you stand with your back to the train tracks) take the street in front of the giolitti exit (a bit on the left of the exit actually) which is called via gioberti. At the far end you'll spot the Basilica of SMaria Maggiore. go straight up to the basilica and right in front of the basilica you find via merulana. from the basilica to the hotel is like 2 minutes walking. total walking it's around 8/10 min.

Termini area is a bit strange at night but if you mind your business nothing is going to happen to you.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Hi,

It is totally easy to walk, providing you are both fit enough to drag luggage etc

Termini area is a hot bed of various ethnic groups and homeless people, so keep your wits about you . Rome is generally a safe area and you would probably run more risk getting ripped off in the short taxi ride, than you would just walking.

Enjoy ROME!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

First of all, a taxi from the airport would be 48 euros, not 60. It's a fixed price. Some of the private transfer services are even cheaper, and will meet you in the arrivals hall, bearing a sign with your name on it, and help you with your luggage. www.romeshuttlelimousine.com is one service that's often cheaper than a taxi, although they may have a late-night add-on fee. By the time you pay for the Leonardo Express and a taxi from Termini station, you would have practically paid as much as the private transfer service.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

Thank you all for the help.

I understand the taxi's have fixed fare of 48 euros, do they not upcharge at 11pm at night? That was my impression.

And no, if we do Leonardo, we are just walking. Not taking a taxi after. Oh and I did send a pricing request to the site that was suggested. Thanks again!

Edited: 10 June 2013, 03:42
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late arrival into Fiumicino - help needed :)

The fixed price of €48 applies at all times and includes luggage.