We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

I am going to Rome with my husband, twin 1.5 year olds, and a 3.5 year old next May. What is the best neighborhood to rent an apartment with easy access to sights, but not overcrowded with cars, and loud noises to all hours of the night? Thanks!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

Everyone's definition of "best" will be different, dependent on your budget and personal preferences. Most visitors to Rome stay within the historic center so you can walk as much as possible (although walking to every sight is not possible, some will require transportation): areas in the historic center include Spanish Steps/Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza Navona/Campo de' Fiori (although we stayed in that area once when our home was being renovated and there was street noise as Campo de' Fiori has a lot of bars), Monti, closer in parts of Trastevere ...there's also Termini, although it is not my favorite, it can be very convenient with respect to trains, metro, and buses as it is near the train station. With respect to noise, I'd certainly look for an apartment with double glass windows and possibly with bedrooms on the side or back, off the street; in general, the higher the floor, the quieter (but if on a high floor then make sure there is an elevator!). ALWAYS check the exact address of the apartment on google maps so you can see how close in it is, as well as access to metro stations, bus stops, etc.

My guess is at some point you may want to take the children to a park to run around a bit. The gardens around Villa Borghese would be good. If that was a big draw for you, that would suggest staying in the Spanish Steps area. There's also a lovely park around Villa Doria Pamphili (east of Trastevere, another lovely area).

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

Oops, I said the park around Villa Doria Pamphili was east of Trastevere, I meant west!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

"but not overcrowded with cars, and loud noises to all hours of the night? Thanks!"

This cuts out a lot of central Rome. The neighborhood that I have sayed in tht was the quietest at night was the Celio in back of the Colosseum, but it is not most central with respect to walking to all the sights. Getting on and off public transprot with a stroller can be a pain. For the least amount of walking stay in the Campo Fiori/Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

Thank you for the google maps suggestion

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

Don't miss Explora Museo di Bambini. We were in Rome with grandkids some the ages of yours and they absolutely had a marvelous time there. That and the playgrounds of the Borghese.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
393 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

never been to Rome, but we are going with our 1.5 year old twins in January, and we settled on Bollo Apartments around Pantheon/Campo di fiori

It looks a bit older, but the price was wicked. In the end we decided that being central is probably more convenient with kids rather than pack up everything in trains and buses constantly...

So hopefully it helps you a little bit, despite us never been in Rome :) Good luck with your twins, we are in the same boat and know what you are dealing with !

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,964 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

These books may come in handy. http://www.amazon.com/Rome-Kids-insiders-J-M-Pasquesi/dp/0977309304/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370884586&sr=8-2&keywords=Kids+in+Rome

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
7 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

We will add the children's museum to our list. Kids definitely need an attraction free day

9. Re: Best Neighborhood to rent an apartment with small children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:18