We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go about visiting Rome?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
5 posts
Save Topic
How to go about visiting Rome?

Hey

I'm sorry for the lengthy post! But need a lot of help.

My mother(45) and I(18) will be reaching Rome on the 3rd August around 10am and will be there till 4th night. As the 4th is a sunday, we have to visit Vatican on 3rd after our arrival. We know that St Peter's admission is free of cost but you need to pay to use the elevator and go up. One question, where will we be required to pay? Is reservation required? As for the Vatican museums, should we book a tour so that we can also visit the Vatican Gardens?

For visiting Rome on the 4th, should we book a composite skip-the-line tour via an operator or just buy online tickets to the three places and reserve the underground tour via call?

Last query, are the tours to the Vatican and Undergroud Colosseum tour run by the government itself? Will they be different from the private operators? Which is better and economical?

This is our first Italy trip and we're really overwhelmed with all the information and booking. Help will be really appreciated! =)

Devika

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

The basilica is free to enter. If you wish to climb the dome there is a charge for that. There is no way to book or pay for climbing the dome ahead of time. You must line up and pay when you get there.

The only way to visit the Vatican gardens is on a tour. You cannot go on your own. Your tour of the gardens will also include entry to the museums after the tour.

August 4th is a Sunday and the Vatican museums will not be open. I assume you're now talking about the colosseum/forum/palatine hill. I would not book a third party vendor. You can book the underground colosseum tour online. Just read the Top Questions at the top right of this page for more information on how to do that. For the forum and palatine hill there are tours everyday that you can sign up for once in Rome.

The Vatican is it's own country so yes, the tours are run by them. The colosseum is a state owned site. As to which type of tour is better, that's very subjective. I've liked the tours I've done of both sites and have no complaints. Just be aware that private companies will charge more than official tours cost.

Donna

5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

Thanks a lot for the help.

We can make the appropriate reservations now!

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

Thanks a lot for the help.

We can make the appropriate reservations now!

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

You've got only a short time in Rome, but try an pop into the Pantheon. There is not charge, and it's wonderful to see a surviving Roman building.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,736 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

The Pantheon is actually a church.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

with such a short trip to Rome I would skip the Vatican, and do the colisseum from the outside and maybe just St Peter's Basilica. You will be missing out on everything the city has to offer by filling it with these 2 time consuming sites!

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

Devikagg, I'm sure you will be very happy with your decision to see the significant sites you have chosen!

Enjoy your trip,

Spirit

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

Yes, we did realize that two days were very less and decided to make it 3!

We're now planning to visit the vatican for one day and visit Rome the other two days. We're planning to visit The Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hills, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon.

We'll be grateful to any suggestions!

9. Re: How to go about visiting Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 05:17