We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

I found an apartment through rome-accommodations that looks perfect for my family of 5

rome-accommodation.net/rome-apartments/ap33-…

(AP33, on San Cosimato in Trastevere). The only thing is, it is not air conditioned. I know Rome is hot in the summer - years ago, I visited in August, and do remember it was hot (though I was coming form Naples which was hotter). However, we don't have air conditioning here in the US either, and NYC in August can also be hot! So, are we going to die of heat if we do this?

And has anyone had experience with this apartment?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

If your family is comfortable in the mid-90s with humidity that we get here in July and sometimes in August, then you should be okay there. I wouldn't (couldn't) do it but everyone has their own comfort levels. I find it unbearable -

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

Having suffered from heat stroke in Rome in MAY I could not do it, either.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

To clarify - not this past May.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

if you can handle NYC without air conditioning, you should be fine in Rome. Make sure the apartment has fans at least. And also, hopefully the windows have "persiane" or shutters.... if you keep them closed during the day with the windows open, it should keep the apartment cool for the night..... in general older Rome apartments can be kept cooler because of the very thick walls.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

I couldn't do it, but I have ac here in NY. From my experience in Italy it is standard to NOT have screens on windows. Do keep that in mind because if there are mosquitoes they will be joining you in the apartment.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

I have never experienced mosquitoes at least in the center of Rome. I met a woman who lived in an area of Rome near via nomentana with lots of trees all around and she had a huge mosquito problem.

7. Re: apartment without air conditioning in August (AP33)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16