We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery Stores and Markets

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
45 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery Stores and Markets

I would love the names of better quality grocery stores and specialty markets to bring back what I think are the best kind of souvenirs. I have an empty smallish suitcase just for my food haul. I really need(yes need!) to obtain some very good mushroom items such as dried porcini, truffles in various forms, and more difficult to obtain in the US items. Also,suggestions for any food items that I should not miss. Sometimes I get fixed on what I think I need and overlook some really good ones. Money is really no object in this dept!

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,441 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,824 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.30*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

You can try the Campo de Fiori markets in the morning, they have lots of food stalls including dried foods and spices. The shops surrounding are also filled with amazing foodstuffs, so that is at least one place to start.

Do check your own import regulations though, some foods are not allowed.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 08:29
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Sorry to jump on your thread...

What time are the markets on in Campo de Fiori, are they on every day?

Do they sell fresh goods, i.e bread, cheese, meats, olives??

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

The Campo de' Fiori market is open every day except Sunday. It starts roughly around 8 am and closes roughly 1:30-ish. There's a very good cured meat store on the piazza at Norcineria Viola and a little cheese place around the corner at Cisternino (near the Forno).

I'd also consider going to some of Rome's specialty stores for your shopping. There's Roscioli (GREAT place for a meal as well) at Via dei Giubbonari, 21, and Volpetti, Via Marmorata, 47. Or, take the plunge and go to Rome's largest food emporium, Eataly, at Piazzale XII Ottobre 1492 -- open 10 am to midnight (so great late-night shopping!)

http://www.salumeriaroscioli.com

http://www.volpetti.com

http://www.roma.eataly.it

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

They are on every day except Sunday, but like most markets, you won't get fish on Monday as the boats don't go out Sunday.

Info re markets generally

http://www.rome.info/shopping/markets/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Excellent, i'll take a look at the links

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
45 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait to hit the market.

Melissa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

And after you've done your shopping, there are lots of cafes/restaurants around the Campo de'Fiori to have lunch

New York
Level Contributor
464 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Ditto campo di Flori market, you will find everything there. I pretty sure I saw black truffles in either stores or the market for 28 euros each.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
45 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Happy to report that I brought back a ton of food! I went to Volpetti which was wonderful. It's a small shop in size, but what an amazing selection of meats, cheeses and vinegars. The staff were exceptionally friendly to English speaking tourists and they automatically bubble wrapped my box of vinegar. This place is a 5 minute walk from Piramide metro station. Go there!

Campo Di Fiore- that was a fun trip. One thing that I noticed was that about half the stalls were run by Indian men. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against any race, my concern was that the market was turning into more of a tourist attraction rather than a local food market. Seems that each one had the same pastas, herbs, etc. Definitely geared towards the tourist in my opinion, but I still bought food regardless. I was the tourist after all The Italian run stands were the fruit and vegetable ones. Totally worth a trip even if you aren't in the market to buy anything.

Eataly- WOW!!!! Um, this was like a foodgasm! Holy hell was this a fun day. I think we spent 3 1/2 hours eating and shopping. I don't care what the critics say. So what if this isn't a traditional Italian style food market. It was awesome. High quality, amazing selection, bright, air conditioned, fun, wallet busting.....Oh, and then there are all of the restaurants to choose from. Come hungry and with lots of money! I only spent $175 of food to take home. Half of that was in truffle and mushroom related products.

My cousin and her husband live in Rome so they decided to try the fill your own wine jug option. Amazing wine for 6 Euros in what I think was a magnum sized bottle. If you have the space in your hotel or rental apartment, go fill up for pennies and drink well!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
675 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery Stores and Markets

Glad to hear some of our recommendations worked out and sounds like you had a great trip!