We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro ticket questions

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Metro ticket questions

Can I buy the BIT (Single tickets), BIG day pass or BTI 3-day pass in advance and use them later? Do I need to validate them at any machine before I started using them?

Edited: 12 June 2013, 14:03
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro ticket questions

Yes and yes.

Donna

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro ticket questions

Thanks Donna. Just to be sure I get it correctly, even BIT (Single ticket) will only be validated on the day of usage? No expiry constraint for instant, after purchasing the ticket I need to use within 12 or 24hrs? BIT (Single ticket), BIG day pass, BTI 3-day pass I can purchase it 2-3 days earlier before I start using them? Sorry for repeating the same question. Just want to make sure.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 15:17
Turin
Level Contributor
6,182 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro ticket questions

That's the convenience of the validation system: buy now, use when you need it.

"You must validate your ticket" is just a badly translated Italian bureaucratic phrase that means "You must time-stamp it".

ps

It's completely OT, but sometimes I wonder if cruise passengers ever got that they could buy their regional trains tickets from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino at the airport train station when they land in Rome instead of queuing in Civitavecchia after the cruise ... I mean, how many cruises last for more than 2 months?

Edited: 12 June 2013, 15:42
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro ticket questions

All of the ATAC tickets (BIG, BTI, etc.) expire at midnight on the last day of validity; they're not for a fixed number of hours. For instance, a BIG ticket expires at midnight on the day you stamp it; a BTI ticket expires at midnight of the third day, counting from the day you stamp it.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
1,197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro ticket questions

you need to evalidate it only the first day

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro ticket questions

Yes, do not ever validate a ticket or pass (or train ticket) more than once. It makes it look as though you're trying to get more time off it, which is illegal. Bus tickets are validated on the bus. Metro tickets are validated in the turnstile at the metro entrance; if you go on the metro a second time, it will see that it was already validated and won't stamp it a second time. Train tickets are validated in a machine by the track BEFORE you board the train. You should check that the time stamp has actually been printed on the ticket or pass. If it hasn't, try another machine, and if all else fails, write the date and time on the ticket.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro ticket questions

Thanks all for the insights! very helpful. :)

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
7,993 posts
1,197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro ticket questions

yes actually bvienci is right if u evalidate more than once u risk that uor valid ticket seems illegal

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metro ticket questions

Can't think that I've ever double-validated.... certainly not for a good few years!

But I wonder whether today's machines would actually stamp tickets a second time - surely they're now clever enough to read the magnetic stripe, and simply regurgitate those that have already been "done" once?

Peter

Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metro ticket questions

Indeed, ticket machines never stamp tickets a second time; they will simply "regurgitate" them.