We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome in a day

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rome in a day

I will be flying into Rome to get on a cruise ship in late August. I only have a day to experience Rome. I want to see the Vatican/Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Cathedral, the Trevi Fountain, Forum, Colosseum and the Pantheon. I understand the majority of my day will be wasted by standing in lines but was told that a personal tour guide would be my best bet to beat the lines and see everything I would like to see in a short amount of time. What are you thoughts on my plan and di you have any recommendations of personal tour guides? Thank you!!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome in a day

I don't know how you think you are going to do all that in one - do you plan to actually go inside the Colosseum and visit the Forum? If so - do try to go to the Colosseum and Forum first thing in the morning before the heat/humidity becomes too oppressive and do the Museums/Sistine Chapel in the afternoon.

You can book both these sites to skip the lines without taking a tour if you do not want to. Both sites also offer their own tours which you can pre-book for a lot less than a private guide would cost; it is up to you.

For the Vatican Museums - tickets or tours:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

For the Colosseum:

www.coopculture.it/en/ticket.cfm…

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome in a day

If you prepurchase your tickets for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, where would you go to when you arrive there? Is there a different entry area for visitors with tickets? Also, I have seen elsewhere that once you are inside and go through the Chapel you can take a back door directly into the Basilica. Is this true to your knowledge or would you have to return outside and get in a new line for the Basilica? Thanks in advance

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,752 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome in a day

If you only have a day pick one or the other of the Colosseum and Roman Forum or Vatican/Sistine Chapel.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome in a day

If you visit the colosseum/forum first thing in the morning you can take a taxi to the Vatican museums and spend an hour or two there before moving on to the basilica. After the basilica you can visit the pantheon and trevi fountain if you have the energy left to do so.

It will be a very packed day and it's not optimal but if it's the only chance you have then get up early and just do it. I think you can get a good over view of all the sites mentioned but you won't be able to linger anywhere or you risk not having enough time to get to the other sites.

Kurtnkim, just go to the main entrance of the museums. You'll see the line coming out of the building and going around to the left as you look at it. On the right should be a guard. Show him your reservation and he will put you to the front of the line going into the door. Once inside just go through the security checkpoint. You can only take the bypass door if you're taking a tour. The guards have been checking tickets and turning away people who aren't on tours. Yes, you'll need to wait in the security line for the basilica.

Donna

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome in a day

Thank you, Donna. Is there a price difference for the tour versus not and also would there be much of a time difference? We only have 2 full days and were planning on doing the Vatican, Sistine, and St Peters one day and the Colosseum and some smaller things the next. Any suggestions on tickets? From reading many other forums it looks like maybe the Roma Pass for the Colosseum and to get around and the full tour pass for the Vatican to get into St Peters easier? We are staying next to the Colosseum.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome in a day

If you just buy tickets for the colosseum they cost 12 euros plus a 2 euros booking fee. A regular tour will cost an additional 5 euros and the underground tour will cost and additional 9 euros. You would need to check out the timings of the tours but the tickets allow for non-timed entry so you can use them when you wish.

You won't need the romapass. Just buy tickets online. Check out the top questions about the underground tour to get the official website.

I don't know what the **full tour pass for the Vatican** is. Do you mean you will book a tour of the museums and then visit the basilica? If so, just use the official Vatican website to book the tour.

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Donna

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome in a day

'ssfoshee' Skip the Coliseum and Roman Forum or Vatican/Sistine Chapel. Get a good map, put on you walking shoes, and you will see most of your sites and experience Rome itself. Then you can hop on your boat and rest for a week or so!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
27 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome in a day

For the "full tour" I was referring to the above where you mentioned you can take the bypass door into the Basilica if you are on the tour. Are they one in the same or two different things? Is it one kind of ticket to tour on your own and a separate kind of ticket to go on the "tour" and take the bypass door into the Basilica? Is it possible to skip the museum tour and just do the Sistine and the Basilica?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome in a day

I'm still confused by what you're saying.

If you take a tour of the Vatican museums you bypass the lines outside and go to the front of the security line. You tour with an actual guide and are given headphones so you can clearly hear the guide without having to stand next to him/her. You will learn about the artwork of the Sistine Chapel in the courtyard with actual pictures of the ceiling and Last Judgement (they cannot do this inside the chapel itself). Just before the chapel they will take the headphones back and basically end the tour. After the chapel you can exit through the bypass door into the basilica without having to go through the security line again. Just show the guard your tour ticket if you don't leave with the rest of the group.

If you don't take a tour or do an audio tour you cannot use the bypass door.

Donna

10. Re: Rome in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 06:16