We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Customs

We will be departing Italy from Rome. We have a connection in Detroit prior to returning to St. Louis. At what point can we expect to go through US Customs? In Detroit? Or, in St. Louis?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,441 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,824 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.30*
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,974 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs

Your question is about the United States, not Italy! But having travelled to the U.S., you have to go through U.S. Customs at first point of arrival in your country, i.e. Detroit. I presume you or your travel agent will have taken that into account when booking these flights.

Your own authorities are quite clear on the situation: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/458/~/when-does-a-traveler-clear-u.s.-customs-and-border-protection

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Maryland
Level Contributor
439 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs

You will have to go through customs in Detroit. The US has you do customs on your first point of entry.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-c19992/United-St…

NY
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs

After landing in Detroit you will go through immigration/passport inspection, baggage collection, then customs, then a security checkpoint before heading to your connecting flight. For most people the customs is fast although there may be a line, but sometimes they take you to a separate area and open your luggage (this will probably not happen to you as long as all your answers are clear and your customs form correct)

If in Rome they put a baggage tag on your luggage showing St Louis as your final destination then you should be able to drop your checked luggage for rechecking before that security check.

Hope your connections allow plenty of time for all this in Detroit. I start to get nervous if it is less than two hours connection time

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs

Watch out for those cute little doggies. They will sniff out any contraband (It used to be the meats but I understand they are allowed now), but no fresh fruits and veggies, seeds, etc. The dogs will be at the immigration line and at baggage collection.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs

My last two trips to Europe, I had a transfer within Europe and returned to my destination in the states. This is my first time having a connection in the states. I probably didn't leave enough time to disembark and go through customs. This will probably cost me.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,521 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs

How much time do you have? I think Detroit should be much better than say JFK, Philly, Boston, Chicago or Dallas...one would hope.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,974 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs

Oh dear. But at least you realised it now, which I guess is better than finding out after landing in Detroit.

I wonder what happens if luggage doesn't arrive at the first point of entry into the U.S., having gone astray on departure. Presumably in this situation you would carry on without the bag to the final destination, and when it arrives, I can't imagine that the airline/Customs would require people to go back to the airport of entry to clear it: so they must do this without the passenger, then send it on to the final destination(?). If you could do without it on arrival, would it be worth "forgetting" to pick it up in Detroit? (Or would they then blow it up as a security risk?!).

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs

Qaminari, are you trying to make the OP nervous? There's little cause to think that checked baggage will be misrouted on a transatlantic flight. And it's hard to imagine that one would have to fly back to Detroit simply to retrieve luggage.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs

We only have 2 hours in Detroit between flights. I'm thinking that might not be enough time. Read in Wall Street Journal that some sites have 3 hour waits, which is what prompted the original question.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs

FYI...There are many flights out of Canada and other departure foreign points where you go through U.S. customs and immigration in the foreign city. Possibility of things to change?