We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to research restaurants?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to research restaurants?

My daughter (20) and I are staying at the River Palace Hotel (Via Flaminia,33

00196 Roma ) in August and are wondering if we need to start researching dinner choices. Or could we just wander the different neighborhoods until we come upon one that looks good. I understand Rome is really busy in August and worry we may not find places. We do prefer small family owned places with a casual atmosphere. Reveiws of our hotel people say they were given great recomendations from front desk - should we just go with that.

thanks

Kathy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,116 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

Our first visit to Rome we stayed at the River Palace. It is not the most conveniently located hotel for sightseeing in Rome, though the Piazza del Popolo and its church are wonderful and the Villa Borghese (must book in advance) is a stunning museum.

There are quite a lot of very touristy places near the Spanish Steps and a lot of quite expensive places along the Via del Corso.

So yes, I would be asking for recommendations, even though you will find plenty of places and they will all have menus posted outside.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
189 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

No need to reserve such in advance, unless you are looking for a very specific restaurant. Wander around, compare, make your preferred choice, in the worst case you'll have to wait a little bit, or you will reserve for the day after! Rush hour is between 8.30 and 10.00, so if you go there earlier or later it should be ok.

If you are there at 8.00, and the place is fully booked, then it must be a tourist place: romans don't eat that early!

Enjoy!

For additional italian travel hints, have a look at my travel blog www.delightfullyitaly.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

YES! You must research if you care about good food. The vast majority of restaurants in the historic center, esp near the sights, are mediocre

Make a list of 3-4 restaurants that sound good in each of the neighborhoods you may be visiting. See Italian reviews first here on TA and go on chowhound as well!

Buon Appetito!

rome
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

also, a lot of the family owned small places you would like to experience might be closed for their annual vacation in August (usually the two weeks around the 15th, which is a holiday). so having an idea of what will be open in what neighborhood during your dates is a good idea if you do care about food. You won't starve in any case, but quality will vary.

Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

Ok - I've decided to do some research. How do I figure out what neighborhood my hotel is in? Looking at the map doesn't really help.

New York
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

Honestly I didn't do much research at all for restaurants in Rome. I made it a point to always walk off the "tourist path" by a few blocks and see what looked interesting to me. I never chose menus that were in 4 languages with someone waving me in from the outside. While I was out during the day I also stopped for business cards of restaurants that I though I might want to have dinner at and looked them up on TA later on.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

I believe the neighborhood is flaminio.... I might be mistaken, however that is not too relevant. It's just outside the Aurelian walls which is what defines the historic center, so not terribly far out. The metro is near by which can be handy for some things and in piazzale flamino there is a big bus hub and you can go almost everywhere from there.

You say the map isn't helping you, you really need to sit down and get the Hang of google maps to see where everything is in relation to your hotel. You can plot in directions for walking and for public transport.

Research restaurants for the neighborhood s you'll be visiting as well as around your hotel

For example if you will be going to colosseum or pantheon/navona find 3-5 restaurants that are in That vicinity so you have a choice.

Boston
Level Contributor
424 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

Penny - thank you - I'm working on the whole map thing - I'm a wander so I may get lost but usually end up where I need to be if I know the general direction.

New York
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

I always buy the laminated "Streetwise" map of the cities I go to. I love them and people always ask me where to buy one when they see me using it. You can find them in a Barnes & Noble type bookstore or on the internet. Being laminated (it also folds) it can get wet and is very durable. I've had my Rome one for years!

New York
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to research restaurants?

Here's a link for the maps so you know what they look like. The map itself lists all the streets, piazzas, sights, etc...

http://www.streetwisemaps.com/index.html