We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CT
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

Hi,

I need some help with my itinerary in Rome. We will be in Rome august 1 till August 6. I am travelling with my family incl 3 kids (18,15,11) and my parents. My mom has a hard time walking and I would like to find a guide who could maybe help us for 2 half days to visit sites and pass the lines. .

1. Can anyone recommend a local guide for the forum and the Vatican, who would allow us to pass the lines and make it exciting for my 11 year old as well as my my mom who is 70 years old

2. Are roma passes a good idea if we book guides?

3. Are taxis easy to catch or should we hire a local guide with a car or rent a car when we visit the sites with a local guide.

3. Please comment on my Itinerary

day 1 we arrive around 6pm, so walk Spanish steps to ara pacis

day 2 fri coliseum, forum, capitol hill, pantheon, trajan column

day 3 sat Vatican city St. peters basilica dome climb and Vatican museum, borgo district in afternoon

day 4 sun Borghese gallery villa Borghese gardens (bike) rent bicycles there, and all sorts of other vehicles, such as go-karts and two-person or four-person bicycle carts.

day 5 Mon The Jewish Ghetto and Trastevere (three hours)

My girls would probably like some shopping not too expensive. We also like some places of the beaten path. Is the monti neighborhood worthwhile?

Thank you for all your recommendations

i

New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

There is a lot of walking required in your itinerary and no way to avoid it. How hard is it for your mom to walk? Rome is filled with cobblestone streets and lots of pedestrian only areas. The Vatican itself is over a mile walk from where you enter until you arrive to the Sistine Chapel.

CT
Level Contributor
67 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

She can walk a mile, and a few steps are ok. That's why I think 1/2 day visits early in the morning would be best. Also if we could have someone who highlights the important sites that would help

New York
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

I would forget the Spanish Steps unless you plan to look up at them from the Piazza below or look down from above.

L R
Level Contributor
262 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

We are traveling with my 79 year old mom in November and I am also struggling a bit with the walking portion of the trip. We are considering a golf cart tour for one half day to see piazza navona, pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, etc. We also have booked the pristine Sistine tour through walks of italy which is at 0730 and allows early entrance to see the Sistine Chapel and then the Vatican museums and basilica. Hoping to do a half day tour each day and make it as efficient as possible. If need be, she can rest in the afternoon and we can explore other areas on foot! The tours are pricey but are an option!

http://www.golf-cart-tour-rome.com/

walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/…43

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

At the Vatican Museums, you can reserve a wheelchair, and I would advise doing it, as you would also be able to use the elevators instead of the steps. They will show you an itinerary that is suited for wheelchairs and people with limited mobility. Even if she's able to walk, it will save her energy for other things.

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Servizi.html

Daniela Hunt, of Rome Tours, is a great guide for the Roman Forum, who will adapt a tour to your needs. She once organized a tour for a friend of mine who can't be exposed to the sun. Anyone who's been there knows that there's very little shade, be Daniela made full use of whatever shade there is, finding shady vantage points to view almost everything. She's also very engaging, and I think would be great with teens.

http://www.rome-tours.com/

Context Travel is a very reliable company that does tailor-made private tours, if Daniela is not available. They usually cost more for a group, though, as they charge the same price for everyone, whereas Daniela charges less for the second and third person, and even less for more people.

She also gives tours at the Vatican, but I've never experienced one of those.

I recently ran across this group, who give tours for disabled people using golf carts:

http://www.drivinguide.com/disabled.htm

I have no experience at all with these tours, but they sound as though they take the job quite seriously. You might be able to split your group up for half a day, with some going along with your mother on a golf cart tour of the center of Rome (Piazzas, fountains, and the Pantheon), while the others take a self-guided walking tour of the same area.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

You asked about the Monti area. While we have a home near the Spanish Steps, we stayed in Monti when our place was being renovated, and we loved it. It has a really pleasant energy to it, as well as lots of little shops and wine bars. Especially on Friday and Saturday nights, you'll find lots of people hanging out in the little Piazza della Madonna dei Monti. A good wine bar we go to there is Al Vino al Vino (not fancy at all, good wine selection, caponata, meats and cheese -- simple but good) and we adore L'Asino d'Oro, which besides being a nice little place with very good and reasonable food has a fabulous 13 euro lunch (with a glass of wine!) during the work week. Al Vino al Vino is at Via dei Serpenti, 19; L'Asino d'Oro is at Via del Boschetto, 73 (facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/asinodoro ). For a sweet, grab a cannoli at Ciuri Ciuri at Via Leonina, 18/20 (website is http://www.ciuri-ciuri.it )

Here are some articles on Monti that might be helpful:

revealedrome.com/2013/03/national-geographic…

nytimes.com/2011/…

guardian.co.uk/travel/2012/mar/08/rome-monti…

7. Re: help with itinerary - family of 7 teenagers and seniors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 05:19