We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

Is it better to stay near the Termini or Spanish steps? We are arriving from the airport taking the Leonardo Express train and departing to Florence by train.

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

A hotel near Termini is more convenient for arrival and departure if you want to be close to the station however the location in my opinion is the least desirable. I would much rather take a taxi to my hotel from Termini and stay in the center. If you intend to sightsee around the Spanish Steps, Trevi, Pantheon, etc... the Termini area is not nearly as convenient as staying more central.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,488 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

If you're only going to be in town for one night, you might as well stay near the station. If you're hanging around a little longer, I'd look for a place more in the center. The Spanish Steps area isn't particularly central, I'd head more toward Piazza Navona, Campo dei' Fiori, the Pantheon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

Thanks both for the advice. We will be staying 4 nights so I guess the central area makes more sense.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 20:35
Sunnyvale,California...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

I agree that the area around the Termini is not the most appealing but it is the most convenient especially when taking the train to other destinations. Also the two metro lines and many buses are at the Termini. I stayed near the Termini in May and had no problems. I found a nice, cozy, comfortable hotel near the Termini and had a good experience. If you do choose to stay near the Termini...just do your research on TripAdvisor and find a hotel that suits your needs.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

We stayed at a hotel on Via Nazionale - easy walk to termini station but central enough for everything else too.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

There are mobs of tourists in the most central areas of Rome. There is a tad more elbow room, relatively speaking, in the area of the Termini.

Spirit

New York
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

There might be less tourists in the Termini area, but there is less charm and there can be a bit more seediness. It's such a great feeling to be able to walk from your hotel within 5-10 minutes to all the beautiful sights in the historic area. If you want to stop back in your hotel it's easier as well. Staying down by the Piazza Navona, Campo dei' Fiori, or the Pantheon gives you an easy walk to the gorgeous river and over to Trastevere.

8. Re: First time in Rome - Hotel near Termini or Spanish steps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2014, 06:18