We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome tour guides

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome tour guides

Are they worth it?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome tour guides

Some are.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome tour guides

All tour guides are not created equal. It is important to find one that meets your level of interest (as well as budget). Moreover, some sites benefit more from a guided tour than others. For example, the Colosseum is pretty understandable and well preserved and so can readily be done without a guide. The Roman Forum, however, is harder to understand: it's a large, multi-layered site, with much of it in a ruined state that is much harder to appreciate.

Are you interested in a tour of a particular place? Or on a particular theme? Besides the regular tours (ancient Rome, the Vatican, etc.) there are all kinds of tours: Baroque Rome tours, Angels and Demons tours, food tours, modern architecture tours, scooter tours, running tours, bike tours -- and many more. If you have a particular interest, post a question and you are sure to get responses on this forum.

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome tour guides

we are planing to spend one week in riome from sept 19 till sep 26.planing to stay at hotel virgilio but need to arrange some itersting tour in rome.i would liketo vist st rita but how to go from rome.please plan my days

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome tour guides

Dear 16rita -- it's usually better to post your own question versus adding it onto another thread. That way, more people will see (and respond to) your question.

There is a Santa Rita da Cascia alle Vergini, near the Trevi Fountain. That's within easy walking distance of your hotel. Is that the church you are looking for?

As for tours, there are many to choose from -- not sure what kind of tour you would find interesting, or whether there is something particular you are looking for. They can usually also do custom tours. A few I am familiar with are http://www.romeandtuscanytours.com , http://www.contexttravel.com , and walksofitaly.com/tour_bookings/…114

Hope this helps!

Edited: 20 June 2013, 13:55
maryland
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome tour guides

SpanishStepsApt - what can you tell me about the running tours and food tours? We'll be in Rome next month. Thanks

Doug

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
875 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome tour guides

Good tour guides tell you much about the sites, and they also save you having to line up for hours, so if time is money it could be worthwhile to do some tours. Choose tours that do not have loads of people. You will pay more for these tours but it is worth it, having done small tours and watched huge numbers of people trying to follow a guide who was a long way in front of them and I dont really like following a raised umbrella or rose. we used Dark Rome, and I reccommend them for the city tours in particular.

garden city, ks
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome tour guides

Try Rick Steves site for some downloadable walking tours. We only have 2 1/2 days there, so we have hired a private tour to hit all the main spots. It is $900 euros & $200 for vatican for airport pick-up, 1/2 day then full day the next. Being in a large group wasn't what we wanted & many of the tours wil give you a choice of how many people.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,572 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome tour guides

1100 euros for a half day tour, pick up at airport and Vatican tour is crazy. You can hire a private guide for much less if you look around. I would save the money and book a private transfer myself (55 euros) and get a guide for the colosseum, forum and palatine hill. These are the main sites you'll need a guide for. For the Vatican museums you can book directly with them for a private guide. As for the rest of the city, you can visit that on your own with a map and an audio guide. Spending that much money to have someone tell you the same thing you can read in a book or learn from an audio guide is, in my opinion, crazy.

Donna

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome tour guides

We got back from Rome yesterday, and we also used Dark Rome for the Vatican tour and the Coloseum, Forum and Palatine Hill tour. They were excellent.

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome tour guides

great TA camaraderie once again.............I believe the 1100 includes a second full day - at least that is how I read it

everyone has their own way of doing things - if it doesn't conform to your way of doing things then so be it but to each their own

we are doing the imago artis (19 excellent reviews) tour of the vatican and have booked the early am tour so we get early access before it opens......we have also secured Fulvio so are really looking forward to that

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d3…

I also have a bad hip so we have hired Gioia (248 excellent and 1 very good ratings) to take us around on a golf cart for one and a half days........"walk rome without walking rome!"

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d172…

We are visiting Lucerne, Naples, Positano, Rome and Paris over three weeks on this trip - I have been researching all destinations extensively for several months - to the point of driving my wife nuts - and feel I have only scratched the surface of what we want to see let alone understand all the specific history of the things we will see............this is our first trip ever to Rome and while we certainly enjoying exploring things on our own I am looking forward to having a first hand local's perspective.

Good luck with your tours!

Edited: 23 June 2013, 19:56