We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Atlanta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Hi, Curious if anyone knows 1) if this pass is not available just on the official website (http://romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2) and can be purchased at the usual vending places in person; 2) if unavailable everywhere, will it likely be reinstated by July 6, 2013 (when I arrive); and 3) can Ostia Antica be accessed using the regular Roma Pass instead?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,962 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

The line to Ostia is part of the Rome suburban train system. You can use a Roma Pass for travel there, or an ordinary metro/bus/tram ticket.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Considering your suggested itinerary (Post #6), neither Pass would be to your advantage. The metro & Lido train is on the same ticket which is only 1.50 Euro each way.

tripadvisor.com/…50166372

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Not that you'd need to use the "&Piu" version in going to Ostia Antica, but - for one of the PITs which said they had it available just a couple of weeks ago - see....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k654…

Personally, with so little time in the capital, I'd not bother if also visiting Pompei later in the same vacation - although, if you are indeed heading there, then do try this excellent PDF.... well worth reading beforehand!

http://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

(You probably know, but closed on Mondays!)

If what's in that other thread is still more or less your plan, I'd say that at least the adults would benefit (probably financially, certainly convenience-wise) from a Pass - esp if actually staying out on the far side of the Colosseum, and making frequent use of the public transport system?

With all kids under 18 apparently now entitled to free admission to the STATE-RUN sites (on your list, the triple entry "Colosseum, Palatine and Forum" and Ostia [plus Pompeii!]), less clear cut for them?

For which are which in Rome, see the 2 groupings in:

http://www.romapass.it/doc/NormativeENG.pdf

But one comment on your itinerary - re: "July 8 AM: Palazzo valentini underground roman site tour"

If this is for 2013, note that the two tours played out in English that day will begin at 13:30 and 14:30.... with only Italian and French versions prior to those!

No promises that this will open properly, but....

http://www.tosc.it/Biglietti-roma.html?affiliate=T2C&fun=evdetail&doc=evdetailb&key=648606$3045379&jumpIn=yCalendarView

You'd not get out from even the first until close on 3 PM - and may therefore have quite a gap in the morning, and then a somewhat squished afternoon?

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Atlanta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that <18 yo are now free for state-run museums; so definitely will have to reconsider Roma pass for all 4 of us. Also reconsidering visit to Ostia. Just found out that Colosseum will be open Saturday night we arrive, so may reshuffle our schedule to fit that in.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Hi,

We managed to book 1:30PM English tour on Sun July 7 for Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini. Our highly rated tour guide for Ancient Rome wasn't available til Jul 8. This leaves the following options for Vatican: 1) Jul 7 AM; 2) Jul 7 after 3PM; and 3) Jul 9 AM (need to be in Civitavecchia by 3P). I'm OK passing on Vatican museum for this visit to avoid overloading our 10 + 12 yos. Appreciate your recs on which time slot might make most sense. If 2), could walk about and dine in Travestere afterwards. Worry need to travel to cruise) would interfere with 3).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

If you're passing on the Vatican Museums, I suppose you're asking about a visit to St. Peter's Basilica. If so, either early in the morning or in the later part of the afternoon are best for avoiding a long wait in the security line. I myself wouldn't take such young children to the Vatican Museums, especially in the summer. As a matter of fact, I couldn't bear it myself in the summer, and I say that from personal experience.

I just noticed that the 7th is a Sunday. I would in that case probably prefer the very early visit on the 7th, or an early visit on the 9th. However, 3 PM on the Sunday might not be bad, just rather more crowded with Sunday visitors.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 21:40
Atlanta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Thx, curious if anyone has been to St. Peters Basilica on an Sunday AM during summer? Presumably even though the Pope may not be in residence, the regular Sun AM schedule continues (saintpetersbasilica.org/touristinfo.htm#mass)? Guessic ng that since it remains open, as long as the tourists are respectful, we can continue with our visit? It may be interesting for our girls to observe how a Catholic mass is conducted in its holiest site?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

The page you mentioned above may be correct, but it's no longer being updated (for over three years now), so it's best not to assume that information on it is still current.

This official page has the schedule of Sunday masses at the Vatican, whether or not presided over by the Pope:

http://www.vatican.va/faq/index_en.htm

The mass schedule has nothing to do with whether the Pope is in residence or not. The 10:30 mass is a solemn mass sung in Latin, which may be of interest to your family. All of the other Sunday masses are in Italian.

The masses at St. Peter's Basilica are not often attended by the Pope; when he's in residence, he says mass daily in a private chapel, with employees of the Vatican in attendance. The summer schedule of the Pope can be seen here:

vatican.va/various/…udienze_en.html

As you can see, there will be a papal mass at 9:30 on July 7th, for which you need to request tickets if you'd like to attend. This page indicates how to request the tickets, which are free:

vatican.va/various/prefettura/index_en.html

Pope Francis apparently won't go to Castel Gandolfo in August as his predecessors have done, because there will be papal audiences on Wednesdays in August, but without the need for tickets, because the Vatican printing office will be closed. On the other hand, his schedule shows that he'll be in Castel Gandolfo on July 14th, so maybe he intends to spend a short time there. In July, there are no papal audiences, but, other than the possible short visit to Castel Gandolfo and his visit to Brazil for World Youth Day, July 22-29, it seems he'll be in Rome most of the month of July. On the 7th and the 21st, he will lead the Angelus in St. Peter's Square.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

Thx! We were hoping to climb the cupola. The official website suggest it should be open even during the Angelus. Is that an error? Or perhaps this is the best time to visit because everyone is in the Square? Alternatively, it might be best to avoid 7th AM due to the huge crowds and risk of getting separated?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome & Più Pass Not Available

I think there will always be more people there on a Sunday, inside and out, but maybe there will be fewer people inside during the Angelus, and just before, when people are gathering in the square. I don't know about the climb to the cupola, because I've never done it.

You should establish a meeting time and place, for example at the obelisk, in case you get separated.