We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

A couple tour companies are offering these two cities as a day tour. 12 hours total. Has anybody done this tour?

I realize you really don't get to enjoy them like you would if you had a couple days to spend at each city, but would like to see them as a place to come back for further travel. Thank you.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

I've been to both and I wouldn't try to do both in one day. They're both lovely and worth a future trip to do them justice.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
413 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

I haven't been on this tour, but there is so much to see in Orvieto that I can't see splitting a day trip with Assisi. The combination tours I've been able to find online (through Viator, for example) are pretty vague about what, specifically, you see. It sounds like you breeze through both towns.

My opinion, if you're interested in it, is to pick one or the other and dedicate an entire day trip to it. Orvieto is simple enough from Rome, and pretty inexpensive. The train from Termini Station takes about an hour and 20 minutes, and is only €7 each way. Once you reach Orvieto, you can purchase a Carta Unica Orvieto for about €18 that gives you admission to virtually everything in the town, including Torre dello Moro, Pozzo della Cava, St. Patrick's Well, the Cathedral, the museums, and a guided tour of Orvieto Underground.

I have a trip report of my day trip from Rome to Orvieto at http://zukini.travellerspoint.com/121/ if you would like to see it.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

If you don't mind spending some money, I would recommend RomeCabs. They will do whatever you want. If your time constraints dictate that you see both cities in one day, a private car might be the way to go. We've used them to go to Orvieto/Montepulciano and Pompeii/Amalfi. They can arrange wine tastings, too. We have also gone to Orvieto by train--very doable for an afternoon.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

Both cities have enough to see and do to make a good day trip, but I think a trip that tries to include both would shortchange both. The driving time alone would be at least five hours, leaving 3.5 hours for each city, really too little. The tour would almost certainly waste a lot of the time at a big lunch somewhere, which is always a very long affair when there are 50 people on the bus.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 20:03
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
367 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

I would never try to do both in a one day tour. We mistakenly did a 2 city tour out of Florence on one of our trips. We were gone for 13 hours and had less than 2 hours in each town. The rest of the time was a long lunch, picking up a second group in Sienna (but not seeing anything, just waiting on the bus), picking up and dropping off passengers, restroom stops, etc. Both Assisi and Orvieto are easy to reach on your own. I'd pick one town and leave the other for your next trip. It's always great to save something to go back for. The cost would be miniscule compared to a tour, and you'd have a much richer experience.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

Thanks all for the kind and thoughtful replies. Very much appreciated.

7. Re: Orvieto & Assisi Daytrip in One Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:17