We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going on a train from Rome to Venice

france
1 post
Save Topic
Going on a train from Rome to Venice

Hi!

I'm going to visit Italy for the first time ever, so I'm a little concerned about few things. I'm planning to stay five days in Rome and two in Venice and I'd really love to experience the train. So I'm asking about the best way to book a train ticket. Should I book in advance via the Internet? (and if so I'd like a link, please) or is it better if I booked in rome two days in advance?

I would really appreciate the help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,047 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going on a train from Rome to Venice

For the best prices, book as far in advance as possible direct with the train operator. Tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets can sell out quickly. Prices of discounted tickets keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names of cities: Roma Termini and Venezia S Lucia. There is also a new competitor: www.italotreno.it/EN

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going on a train from Rome to Venice

I would also think about taking a night train. The train to Venice from Rome takes four hours, so you would end up with 1 and half day in Venice not two , so make sure you are taking that into account. I got a train from Rome to Florence that was going onto Venice, and there are quite a few every day. one I just looked up goes at 8:50 and arrives at 12: 25 at Santa Lucia, which would give you almost the whole afternoon assuming you find your hotel easily, and get the first vaperetto available. At least you will have long days, and probably late closings at the sights.

3. Re: Going on a train from Rome to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:18