We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first time to rome

Hi im just looking for advice, I want to go to rome the first weekend of november are all the tourist places still open. also i am really not sure where the best area to stay is. i dont want to be to far from anything.

Any tips would be great

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,109 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to rome

The tourist sights in Rome are open all year.

You cannot be close to everything: it is some 4 km from the Vatican Museums to the Colosseum. The most central area is around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,196 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to rome

You will find numerous threads on this forum as to the "best area to stay," which really depends on your budget and personal preferences. Here's a thread going on now: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k58265… To be able to walk to as many attractions as possible, stay in the historic center, and then use public transportation and taxis where needed.

The major tourist attractions stay open and don't shut down for winter (Colosseo/Roman Forum, Vatican Museums and St. Peter's, Galleria Borghese, etc.) With a single weekend, you main problem is narrowing down what you want to see to an itinerary that is do-able. To do so, take a look at some of the threads on this site about 2 days in Rome, and the Tripadvisor list of attractions, to get an idea of what places most interest you. Here's some sample 2-day itineraries:

ricksteves.com/plan/…rome3.htm

frommers.com/destinations/…0064020790.html

…about.com/od/romeitaly/a/rome-two-days.htm

turismoroma.it/itinerari-a-tempo/…

3. Re: first time to rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:19