We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Is it true that one can be fined a lot of money for eating outside in historic spots? Isn't that everywhere?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Read this over for some clarity:

nytimes.com/2012/…

If you saw how many people toss their trash on the ground, etc., you will know why -

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Thank you for the information.

I just don't get it, how people can dump their trash on the ground. Sad.

But it sounds like one can still carry a gelato around as long as they are walking....

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Indeed, you can walk around with gelato - how strict they are being, I don't know. The description of where one cannot do this pretty much covers much of Rome - but, my guess is that if they are pursuing people for this, it is likely around the most popular sites.

It is sad to see the disregard shown by some people in throwing their trash on the streets, sitting on parts of the monuments/sites that one would think people would know is not done.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

Goodness me, I can understand that eating inside the Coloseum I've on church steps is not acceptable, nor is dropping rubbish anywhere but not eating a sandwich on the Spanish steps!!

Does anyone have good tips for where visitors should eat a picnic lunch, or takeaway pizza, near the central tourist spots?

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
14 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

In Campo de' Fiore is a pizza/bread establishment called Al Forno. It is absolutely the BEST!!!!! A very small space in the corner of the Campo (behind the flower vendor). When entering on the right are the ovens where they bring out the pizzas hot and fresh. You cannot specify your order - you get what they are baking but you cannot go wrong with any of it. Especially the pizza bianca with oil and garlic...Oh...and the pizza w/rosemary and potato is unlike anything you have every eaten before. After you are handed your pizza you will be given a slip (pizza is sold by weight) and directly opposite is the cashier. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

<<Goodness me, I can understand that eating inside the Coloseum I've on church steps is not acceptable, nor is dropping rubbish anywhere but not eating a sandwich on the Spanish steps!!>>

Ooops, how does ipad change "or" to "I've" and, why do I not notice until the Edit opportunity has passed!

7. Re: Eating outside~carryout~ will we be fined?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:17