We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

I know lots of stories re pickpockets but here is another. We are experienced travellers and for some reason I had my wallet in my front button up pocket this time, normally in a secure bum bag.. Anyway I thought I would share my experience.

Stopped to take a photo inside the colosseum , waiting to get a good view, a young boy came in front after his father said wait for people, then another man came along asked if I could take a photo of him, I did then he wanted another one, same time an older man came in front getting in the photo a little bit, I just thought he was rude as all were well dressed and people everywhere .. Finished photo and walked off, only to be tapped by a man saying my wallet was on the ground, thankful to him my wife and I couldn't understand how it came out of my pocket.. After a minute of shock, checked inside and only the 50 euros was gone leaving some 20s and 10s, all cards in tact.

So after realising we thought about it and the guy who tapped me on the shoulder was in on it and the little boy took my wallet while taking a photo of the other bloke.

All and all I felt really conned, which I might say really hurt me as things like that just dosent happen to me, but on this occasion it did. So after walking around to try and choke every man in a blue shirt I calmed down and thought of karma...

Yes u was silly for having it in my front button up pocket.. In hindsight ....I just thought of how many other people out there has the same thing happened to them and dosent realise....Sour Taste in Italy....

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,086 reviews
from US$76.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
531 reviews
from US$413.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,854 reviews
from US$123.90*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,653 reviews
from US$57.50*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

if you keep your wallet in a pocket, eventually you will lose it. A 'bum bag' is an even worse choice as they are easy to pick and primary targets of thieves.

Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

Oh really thanks for that wonderful advice, although I didn't post for that reason only to let people know of different scams, and FYI my bumbag is a bit different from others and should be fine...

Highland Park...
Level Contributor
48 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

People need to be made aware of all types of scams; I think it's incorrect to say that a wallet carried in a pocket eventually will get lost....We just returned from 10 days in Italy, 7 of which were in Rome, and my husband and I carried our wallets in our front pockets without incident, thankfully! I even carried a small bag which held a couple of water bottles and a guidebook, never did we have a problem. After reading this and other boards about pickpockets in Italy, I was very worried!! The "worst" thing we experienced was the guys shoving roses in my face in Venice...so obnoxious.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
112 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

I am not sure what a bumbag is... Is it a fanny pack type of thing so on the outside? What about a money belt which is worn under your clothes or a pouch under your shirt? We leave for Rome in a couple of weeks...

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
15,201 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

Why carry a wallet at all while traveling? 90% of the stuff in my wallet on a daily basis is of no use to me in a foreign country so I leave it all home, and only carry the credit cards, bank cards and my driving license. Those few items can be safely secured in a number of comfortable locations on my person. The store cards, library card, AAA card, etc. don't need to come along.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 16:45
United States
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

I do bring my AAA card because I have been able to get hotel discounts using it but it doesn't need to be carried daily.

TAB

7. Re: Pick Pockets - Colesseum - Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 06:19