We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

Hi,

I have booked an apartment at Via Principe Eugenio, 90 which seems to be fairly close to Termini station. We'll be arriving from Napoli by train. We adults would have a large case each and kids each would have a small case to carry.

I was originally thinking about coming out to the main plaza in front of the station to catch a cab. But we'd probably need a station wagon, may have to wait for one to arrive and feel that we can walk down to the apartment. Driver may not be keen to drive such a short distance.

I have travelled through Termini before but not since the face-lift.

I had a play at Google street view doing a virtual walk along the route and saw there was an entrance on v. Giovanni Giolitti with the legend "stazione per le linee del lazio". Photos show entrances for Metro and ai Treni as well.

Looks like this if the link works :

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

If we come out of that then the apartment is less than 10 minutes walk.

Does anyone know if this an exit for Termini Rail station and if so how to reach this exit after getting off the Intercity train from Napoli?

Thanks

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

As you get off the train at Termini Station, walk towards the head of the platform, then LEFT towards the main station atrium, and exit the station on the Via Giolitti side (lateral southwest side), always walking LEFT. You will see a McDonald's across the street directly in front of the lateral station exit. You will always be walking on flat ground (i.e. no stairs, escalators or elevators). You don't need to exit the station at the front. It's faster to exit from the LATERAL Via Giolitti exit.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

There looks to be a hotel in the same building? For their map and suggestions, click on "Location" here:

www.hotelprincipeeugenio.com/eng/home.asp

... but, at under a kilometre, don't bother with the Metro!

At Termini, watch out for the restoration works that have started since we were there last....

romatermini.com/en/…

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

Thanks very much GAC and Peter for your help I shall stick to my LEFT side. From the map it looks like all the Car Rental counters are located at the V. Giolitti side.

Peter : you are correct. There seems to be the hotel occupying the same address. I can see the the hotel's Name Plate in Google street view. And they also suggest taking the v. Giolitii exit.

Your link to the Termini station website is very nice and I could look into the maps of different levels. Looks like they have opened a very large shopping complex including my daughters' favourite shop Decigual.

Cheers.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

That's either very handy - or a reason to blindfold her just before passing by!

There's now a site like that for several of the main rail stations - including Napoli Centrale, if you'll be heading in this direction?

http://www.napolicentrale.it/en/

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

Thanks Peter once again for the Napoli Centrale site. Yes I have plans to travel through that station a few times.

I'll need yards of blindfold to cover the eyes of two daughters and She Who Must Be Obeyed !!

Better just to give up and sit and have some coffee while they recover from the overdose of ancient ruins by doing some retail therapy.

Cheers.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

In that case, why not maximise everyone's enjoyment - by quickly dumping the bags by taxi and returning to Termini... to then let them shop away, whilst you visit these two wonderful museums, both only a couple of minutes from the station's frontage:

…beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-…

…beniculturali.it/en/museums/national-roman-…

A combined ticket, valid for three days and costing seven Euro normally (but a little dearer when there's a special exhibition on at any of them) covers both of those and also the two other branches of the MNR.... National Museum of Rome!

Sure you'll work something out....

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/places_rome

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

I highly recommend the two museums mentioned by Peter; they may be the best bargain in Rome. The Museum at Palazzo Massimo alle Terme has one of the world's best collections of ancient sculpture, as well as ancient mosaics and frescoes, including the very well preserved frescoes that decorated the villa of Livia, wife of the Emperor Augustus. There are also smaller objects, such as Roman coins, medals, and jewelry. Finally, there's the mummy of a child, found in Rome but mummified in the Egyptian manner.

The other museum, the Museum of the Baths of Diocletian, has, other than some remains of the largest Roman bath complex ever, a very interesting exhibit about the early development of Latin writing, including examples of what Romans wrote with, and what they wrote about, when this was a cutting-edge technology. As you enter the gates of the museum, there is a large hall on your left, which was a hall of the bath complex. Inside, to the left, are two very well preserved Roman painted tombs. These were found elsewhere (I think in Testaccio) in the mid-20th century, and brought here.

I also recommend the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri, which is roughly in between the two museums, and was constructed in another part of the ruins of the Baths of Diocletian. One of the architects involved in the construction was Michelangelo. The main hall, which became the nave, has an oculus like the one at the Pantheon, but this one has been closed by a glass lantern to keep from showering the people attending the mass. This Basilica also an excellent choir and organ; state funerals are usually held here. Sometimes it has small art shows, and there is a meridian line, which was used for years to establish the exact hour of noon, and the bells of the basilica were used to set the clocks of Rome. Now a cannon shot from the Janiculum Hill has replaced the bells of Santa Maria degli Angeli.

The bath complex took in all of what is now Piazza della Repubblica, in front of the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The piazza has the shape of the exedra of the bath complex. Other buildings in the vicinity, including two other churches, were built in the ruins of the bath. Termini station takes its name from the baths; public baths or spas are called "terme" in Italian, from the Latin "thermae".

It's amazing how many people rush through Termini station without ever imagining the cultural treasures nearby. There is also a section of the Severian wall in the station area, the oldest Roman wall, parts of which may have been built as long ago as the 6th century BC, in the days of the kings of Rome, before the Republic and the Empire. The part around Termini station probably dates from the 4th century BC. You can see part of this wall from the train as you're arriving in the station.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 19:38
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

Thanks guys once again.

I entirely agree with both of you and feel this ticket represents an excellent value for money.

Surprisingly the National Museum complex is often overlooked in itineraries.

One of my American friends recently came to visit Rome through a Rick Steeve guided tour. They were staying near Termini and I did not see any mention of this museum in their tour plan, which would have been a stone's throw from their hotel.

I recommended it to them and they really enjoyed the statues and frescoes during one of their free days.

I have been to Rome before and saw the Capitoline and Borghese gallery that time. And this time have my eyes set on Palazzo massimo alle Terme. The famous Pugilist ( seating boxer) has gone to visit other parts of the world but I believe he would be back by August.

bvlenci: I was planning to skip the Diocletian baths in favour of baths of Carcalla. Now you have made me think twice. What do you feel? Carcalla or Diocletian ?

Peter: Eldest daughter is studying GCSE Classics and that was one of the reasons behind this trip. These museums certainly deserve more than a quick walk through and I'll make sure the whole family visit the place.

Afterwards they can visit Decigual, Mango, Zara etc. etc.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

...... whilst the man of the family is kind enough to scoot off and pursue his own interests?

If so, one that they'll may not mind missing is the Italian Infantry Museum, over near the Basilica of

Santa Croce... at Piazza di Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, 9.

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/fanteria

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,488 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking from Termini station to apartment : which exit ?

I think the Baths of Caracalla do give a better idea of the Roman baths. The Baths of Diocletian were so vast, that it's hard to get a conception of them. They've ended up as a conglomerate in the urban fabric of Rome. There's the one large hall at the Museum of the Baths, and various parts of another large hall in the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli, and bits and pieces that can be seen on the street. I've been to the other two churches, and there was almost nothing visible there.

On the other hand, since the Museum of the Baths of Diocletian and the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli are so near Palazzo Massimo and Termini station, and since you'll already have a free entrance, good for three days, you might be able to have a quick look at what's left of the larger baths.

Here is an interesting map that shows the bath complex superimposed on a map of that part of Rome.

romacittaeterna.it/images/pianta_terme_di_di…