We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome police / Pickpocket / Tourist trap

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Rome police / Pickpocket / Tourist trap

I am posting this message less as a question and more as experience-sharing for travelers to Rome.

In my last trip to Rome in June, 2013 I got pickpocketed and lost some money and my smartphone in the metro.

After being to multiple countries, I would not classify myself as a careless traveler but it was one of those bad days when I did become casual, giving chance to someone pickpocketing.

I was carrying 2 travel bags so didn't notice when this happened but realized it in difference of 2-3 minutes that my phone was gone.

This was near Prima Porta station. I went to the policeman there and he asked me to contact the people in the cabin. I went back. No one was in cabin. I waited and searched how I could contact someone in cabin (it was locked, time was around 1400 hours). I had to go to Roma Termini, so after 30 minutes I decided to go there and find police.

I approached the first policeman I found after getting out but he was in hurry and not interested. So he pointed me toward the police station. Termini being huge, I found the Railway police cabin after another 30 minutes. When I reached there were 4 policmen about to leave the cabin. They looked at me angrily as if I should not have come to them ! As I was firm, they pointed me to another police station on the platform.

When I reached there, thankfully, the officer was willing to lodge FIR.I requested if I could use internet to track my device. There is a software which could track my device through GPS. He responded that they don't have internet.

I requested if he could call my number and see if he can speak to the person if someone picks up. He responded that they cannot call anyone outside !

Quite strange facilities in the police room I must confess.

I lodged the FIR and was told that I would be contacted in my country if they find the phone and money. Not sure I should be pinning hopes on this and whether I could do anything further.

Few afterthoughts:

1. Pickpocketing is a reality in Rome and read all travel tips from fellow travelers before you travel

2. If your goods are insured, remain persistent and do lodge a complaint with the police. It might take time but when you reach the right officer, your FIR will be lodged. We even missed our train in the process, but the complaint copy helped us get another ticket without any extra cost

3. Keep as much valuables in pocket as you are comfortable even if lost. I know this sounds ridiculous but other than my smartphone, my loss was not much and that is comforting.

Any thoughts from fellow travelers on what I can do now, back in my country, would be useful for me too.

Regards

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome police / Pickpocket / Tourist trap

Not sure what else you could possibly do - you have a copy of the police report from what I understand so that should help with insurance.

It's a real shame to have this happen. You say pickpocketing is a reality in Rome - indeed it is as it is everywhere, unfortunately.

It's good to have reminders here and advice to others to keep their belongings as secure and close to them as they possibly can.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome police / Pickpocket / Tourist trap

It's a certainly problem - and not only in many of Europe's capitals and cruiseports....

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/vatica…

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9989659/Th…

guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/14/woman-defen…

... but, apparently, in Delhi as well?

…indiatimes.com/2012-05-13/delhi/31689474_1_…

Cash and smart phones are very likely to just disappear - but, in case your phone is eventually handed in, see here for details of how the "Lost Property" system works....

tripadvisor.co.uk/…50889254

Peter

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde

3. Re: Rome police / Pickpocket / Tourist trap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 06:19