We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

Antwerp Province...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

Hi Hi!

I think we found the right forum with the right persons with enough experience that can help us.

Me and my girlfriend are going to Rome in September. We want to visit as much as we can in 6 days. Museums, churches, cathedrals, ...

We don't going to take a Bus HO/HO tour... because we both think that you can better take busses/metro or even walking to see more. Just like we did in Paris. Even, we are not that kind of tourist"..

I heard A LOT about the Rome pass and Omnia card. We want to choose for the Rome pass, but we aren't sure about it, because it only covers you for 3 days. For 6 days, we should take 4 in total then.. A little bit expensive...

But ok, expensive or not.. are there any other solutions? Can some Rome expert give us a 6 day travel idea?

Thanks a lot!

Bryan and Kelly

PS: Sorry for my bad English :o

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

It usually isn't convenient to buy two Roma passes. I would buy one, and visit the more expensive places during those three days. Then, after the pass expires, the less expensive places don't cost enough to make the pass worth the cost. To help you make the decision which places to visit first, here is the full cost and reduced cost of all the covered museums and archaeological sites:

romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti_e…

Remember that the first two sites are free with the Roma Pass. After that, you get the reduced price for the rest of the three days. The first day expires at midnight, not 24 hours later. You'll see that many of the museums are fairly inexpensive, so the second Roma Pass might not save you any money unless you're going to more than two of the rather expensive ones. However, you can decide that when you're there. The Roma Pass can be bought at tourist offices and kiosks, from all participating museums and archaeological sites, and from some metro stations. I wouldn't recommend buying it online, because you'll still have to go to one of these places to pick it up.

After the three days, if you don't get a second Roma Pass, you could get a transport pass for metro, trams, and buses, but that may not be worth your while, either. The three-day pass costs €16.50, but the single tickets cost only €1.50 and are good for 100 minutes, including transfers, in the entire city of Rome. I usually find that I only use one or two tickets a day, because most of the places are fairly near one another, so I walk a lot. I buy a supply of tickets when I arrive, and buy more when they start to run low.

All of the churches in Rome are free to visit.

The main thing that the Omnia Pass includes beyond what the Roma Pass offers is a visit to the Vatican Museums. You can order that separately for €16, plus a €4 reservation fee here:

http://mv.vatican.va/

It also includes a ticket for the Roma Cristiana hop-on, hop-off bus, but you say you're not interested in that. The Omnia Pass costs €60 more than the Roma Pass, so it's hard to see how the Omnia Pass could be worth so much extra money.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

I see no benefits to the Omnia Pass, but in case you are not convinced by the above post, let me add one more negative point about it. My understanding is that the Omnia Pass is good for three days so using the Omnia Pass to visit the Vatican limits the time you will have to make use of the Roma Pass that is included in the Omnia package. Especially since you have six days in Rome, you should use the Roma Pass as much as possible during the three days it is valid and book Vatican tickets yourself for one of the other days. I can't see any advantage to the Omnia Pass.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 22:35
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

Yes, that's true. Another negative is that it would be very hard to make full use of the 3-day transit pass if you were also making use of the hop-on, hop-off bus.

Also, many of the things they list as included in the pass are things that are free anyway.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 10:28
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
5,348 posts
619 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

I agree with bvlenci. Plan on buying one Roma pass and then buying bus/metro/tram tickets as needed. I think most people plan to use public transportation a lot, but end up not using it as much as they planned and mostly walking. I'll buy a few bus/metro/tram tickets during my trip (I'm near the Spagna metro), but walking is our normal way to go and if our feet are just too tired to go on at the end of the day, we'll probably grab a taxi. There are exceptions where we use public transportation both ways, such as going out to MAXXI or MACRO museums, or Testaccio or EUR, but within the historic center, we seem to walk everywhere with the occasional metro, bus, tram or taxi.

I usually recommend that on the day people arrive they spend the day walking and doing as many free activities (churches, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, etc.) as possible, at their own pace. You won't be jet-lagged like the people coming from North America or from Oceania, but I think the same principle applies. I wouldn't want to activate my Roma Pass until I have a several museums and sites that charge admission that I want to see, to get the maximum value out of the Roma Pass. And obviously you don't want to be going to the Vatican on a day you use your Roma pass, all you would be using it for is a metro or bus ride there and back.

Missouri
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

We are at near the Termini station. Are things in walking distance from there.

Missouri
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

I am sorry but also would you buy guided tour of Coliseum,Forum,Pantheon,etc ?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

The Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill are within walking distance of Termini station. If you really like to walk, Trevi Fountain is also not terribly far. There are also two sites of the National Roman Museum (Palazzo Massimo alle Terme and the Museum of the Baths of Diocletian) very near Termini station. The station area is a large one, so some parts of the area are more accessible than others to these places.

You can get tours of the the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and Palatine Hill. There are official tours that cost very little and that most people report to be excellent. The tours for the Colosseum have to be reserved in advance; see the Top Questions at the upper right of this page. The tours for the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill can be reserved at the entrance to the Roman Forum. There are also private tours of these sites. I think the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill really benefit from a good tour. The Colosseum has excellent signs in Italian and English, so I've never felt the need of a tour there.

The Pantheon can be seen in half an hour, and I don't know of any tours just for that, but there are many walking tours of the center of Rome, and most of them include the Pantheon.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

Hi, we are also going to Rome for the first time. We have two and a half day consecutively and one of those days we have a tour booked so we will need to get to the coliesum. would we better to buy a Roma pass or just buy BIT ticket for 2 or 3 days. Would appreciate your advice.

lincoln
Level Contributor
718 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

If you already have your tickets for the coliseum then a Roma pass would probably not be worth it. If you are staying centrally then buying a few single journey tickets - valid for 90 minutes at 1.50 euro might be all you need .Lots of the main sites are easily walkable if you plan carefully.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Rome! 6days - Rome pass/Omnia Card/...?

thank you